Main Menu

2019 Woodward Dream Cruise and Hellcat on fire

Started by Snowdog, August 24, 2019, 08:39:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Snowdog

Hi everyone, well the wife and I did something unusual for us on Saturday of the Woodward Dream Cruise we took the B5 Blue 2019 Challenger T/A to the Hemi Nsanity in Pontiac. And let me tell you it was insanity, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Normally we go to Memorial Park on Thirteen Mile and Woodward where to Dodge display used before Beaumont Hospital kicked them out. At the area of Woodward nothing gets by the Royal Oak Police or MSP, don't even think about even chirping you tires.

Up in Pontiac it's a total different world, cops didn't pull you over unless you did something right in front of them, and even then sometimes they didn't. Anyways the MSHS put on an excellent lunch and everybody there was very nice.

Ok, now on to the Hellcat on fire, so people are doing burnouts and this Dark Green Hellcat from New York, "supposedly" with only 2,000 miles on it, starts to do a burnout and then catches fire. See pics. This very similar to the red Demon at the Milan Dragway, which I'm sure everybody here's seen on you tube. The Hellcat makes it pass the light at Orchard Lake then stops and then everybody and then everyone and their brother starts pouring water from bottles on the engine compartment. Later some spectators and people that had access to the building behind them were a got their fire extinguishers. Everybody really put an effort into getting the fire under control. Anyways, I'm sure the guys from MSHS can add more, and I apologize if miss-quoted anything, I wasn't immediately there when the Hellcat stopped, is was pretty crowded. Anyways, I just thought it was nice that everybody pulled together to get the fire out. My sympathy goes out to the owner and I wish him well.

Take care, Snowdoggie

Cuda Cody

:o  WOW, is this a common issue with the Hellcats?  I've not heard them catching fire before.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JH27N0B

I'd think generally if a car starts on fire due to a defective original equipment component, the warranty would cover it.
However, if the fire starts while doing something abusive like a burn out, maybe they'd deny it.
And if the car was modified, that certainly opens up the possibility of FCA denying the claim.
The other issue is insurance.  In most cases car insurance covers a fire.  But while at the track or during any Motorsport event, car insurance doesn't apply.  You can buy track insurance to cover your car if you go to the dragstrip or a motorcross rally. But if you don't, and your car gets wrecked, you are on your own.
So where does doing a burnout at an event like Woodward count with factory warranties and car insurance?
The Demon owner at Milan was really screwed if he didn't have track insurance.  But this Hellcat fire is more of a gray area.

Snowdog

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 24, 2019, 09:45:10 PM
:o  WOW, is this a common issue with the Hellcats?  I've not heard them catching fire before.

Well I don't know if it's common, but here's another one.  See link below.  Starts around 50 seconds in, of course after the all the You Tube / Google ads. 

Seems like and I'm no expert, that the trans blows and spews ATF on the convertors, then ignites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHzic_Ocxc

And then there's the who's going to put the fire out drama in this video, sort of tragic.

Cuda70-74

Oh wow I missed this action when i was up there
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Snowdog

Here some of the older classic Mopars with the new hemi's put in them and custom job.

Spikedog08

Never know what you will see at Woodward!  Feel bad for the hellcat owner . . .  :-[
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RUNCHARGER

Dang: That GTX would be a nice car if it had a 440 in it.
Sheldon