Main Menu

Car show disaster

Started by chargerdon, May 19, 2024, 05:36:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

That's a great find @torredcuda
And those prices can't be beat.
Makes it worth it to ship the stuff at those prices. 

L and r front fenders, grill, bumpers 200 ea or best offer. For a 1973 Dodge Challenger

Fenders and grill
$200  ยท In stock
Listed in Taylor, MI

Steven Grissom
Mopar Classic Parts Buy, Sell, Trade
Lives in Brownstown Charter Township, Michigan
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

chargerdon

Thanks guys..i sent message to the guy in Michigan for more pics to insure their great quality and what shipping might cost. 

chargerdon

Havent gotten the final word yet from the "car show insurance" but they now say that there is an exclusion for Golf Carts and so they are going to deny my claim.

I now will have to probably file a claim with my own insurance company and suck up the deductible and they in turn will try to get the Church who owns the cart and allowed us to use it to recover their cost.   This sucks as they will then probably not allow us to use their facility at all in the future.

Challenger in NC

Quote from: chargerdon on June 06, 2024, 05:01:01 AMHavent gotten the final word yet from the "car show insurance" but they now say that there is an exclusion for Golf Carts and so they are going to deny my claim.

I now will have to probably file a claim with my own insurance company and suck up the deductible and they in turn will try to get the Church who owns the cart and allowed us to use it to recover their cost.   This sucks as they will then probably not allow us to use their facility at all in the future.

damn, what a bunch of crap. Any luck on sourcing the replacement parts?

chargerdon

Waiting on the insurance company to tell me what they are going to pay out.   Two estimates and a partial one.   First estimate was $9985 second was for $11,980 both were to straighten my existing fender and repair the header panel plus new valance and marker lights. The first place said that they wouldnt be able to get the car in for at least 3 months, the second said July 15'th. 

A third said yes, he could do it for around $4,500 but that he really didn't want to spend the time straightening my existing fender... would rather replace it with an aftermarket.  Tho i think i can talk him into it.

Speaking of replacement fenders AMD offers it direct for $399 plus freight shipping with unspecified price.  JEGS offers the BEST price for AMD parts, in stock only $330 and freight of $158.   Jegs also sales the front valance for $199 plus free shipping.

Now my question is Hmmm   $2600 to straighten my fender, or Jegs AMD at $489...or Year One sales Dynacorn brand for $423 plus shipping total $636 or Summit sales Goodmark brand at $424 plus drop shipping directly to me. 

Suggestions...   Experieance with the 3 brands?   AMD, Dynacorn, Goodmark ?????   

mtull

Quote from: chargerdon on June 26, 2024, 06:30:11 AM$2600 to straighten my fender

I don't know the sellers but if you prefer original metal these may be an option:
NOS 1972 1973 1974 Dodge Challenger LH Fender
1972 1973 1974 Dodge challenger fenders
We have 4 fenders left and right side $444 EACH

If your not on Facebook or can't see the pages I can post each sellers pics later and ask for their contact info.

blown motor

I can't help you with which brand but keep in mind that whether it's $4500 or $11980 you are only paying the deductible. Go with what's best for the car and let insurance worry about the cost.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Xghobo

Best plan for repair is a nice used original fender, the AMD are workable and can be fine but there is nothing like original sheet metal. When I was doing body work on my cuda I had a pair of Amd fenders and a pair of originals that needed some work. Well the decision was easy when both pairs were mounted on the car. The amds would work with a some work absolutely. Put on the originals and it was obvious that was the way to go. They just fell on and everything lined up as it should so repairing the originals was no more work than massaging the aftermarket. Go original and you won't be disappointed.

chargerdon

yeah...Originals in GOOD condition is definitely the way to go.   I keep searching online marketplace and ebay and asking around.  However, i keep seeing pics of fenders with rust or other problems or too far away.  Also, 70-71 fenders don't work.   The guy in Michigan had already sold that fender.   The one in PA NOS original is pickup only and thats a 900 mile round trip.  Same for the ones in PA... 900 round trip.   

I keep searching and haven't found any close by or shippable in great condition.   

Regarding the price...yes it does matter...   I.e. my insurance has already told me that when they decide on the amount that i will get a check directly.  They don't care where i take it or what they charge !!   The collision inspector turned in an estimate almost identical to the first estimate i got.   Now, if i can find a good fender close by, i can at least save the cost of my deductible (500) and maybe even be able to pocket some.  There is maybe 50/50 chance that the insurance company will be able to recoup there cost and if they do i will get my deductable back.   

I have done ALL of the work on the cars restoration originally with the exception of the final paint job.   IF i had confidence in any of the 3 aftermarket fenders heck i can do the wrenching to replace it and the valance myself...do the fiberglass repair (cant be that hard and i picked up a headlight section header panel that i could "piece together" and then take it to a good painter.   Already found one that said yep...you do that and bring it to me and for about $2,000 ill do a great paint job for you blending into both the door and and hood.   

Spent this morning putting together my own parts list and for about $800-900 i can buy all of the parts especially if i use Jeggs and AMD for fender and valance.   This would be great..  i dont mind the work, so long as the end result is great...   and i could potentially pocket about $4,000 (two estimates for straightening my fender and fiberglass repairs labe or 38 hours at $100 hr = $3800...vs about $800...if i settled for an aftermarket fender or found good one at reasonable price  close enough to go get.   Its like one collision center told me...  if you want original lets straighten yours...recognize any used fender you pick up will require several hours to fix and bad spots or waves/dinges and that adds up quick.   

Sigh !!