Main Menu

Mopars at the Strip

Started by cudajunction, February 08, 2018, 07:12:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudajunction

OK, Mopars and Muscle Cars at the Strip, which I think was the ......well, no one asked me.  We have only skipped this event once since the humble beginnings where we sat in line for hours, or got our swap spot moved 3 times, etc..

Anyway, it is an all breed show and I see The Cannery is no longer the host hotel.  This was part of the reason we have hung in there in going, the after party was pretty cool, drinking a beer or 10 with Mopar faithful and looking at cool cars is a ton of fun.   

But where is this event going?  The show is still at LVMS as far as I can tell and The Downtown Grand - which is a block off Fremont St. toward the north end of old downtown.

I cannot help but think most Moparians are going to bail on this, you do not need to go to Vegas for an all breed show and no cool factor.

We are on the fence and looking to see what the resident experts think on this one.

BIGSHCLUNK

Havent been there in quite a few years. Was ALL MOPAR then...... but was a very good time!

Chryco Psycho

I love the show , great winter break .
I think the last year I was there was in 11
The racing is awesome , good track & a fun show
Great bands in the evening too
Downtown Grand is the host hotel , the Cannery was great with the evening show overflowing into the street behind the hotel

cudajunction

That is the thing, no Cannery this year.   I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this is going to have the participation it has had in the past.

Spikedog08

It has been 12 years since I went to that show.  Was a good time though . . After hours at the Cannery with the after party was a lot of fun.  Had Kenny Wayne Sheppard playing with his band and showing off his General Lee.  A lot of fun.  Not thinking of going now that it is all makes . . .

:stop:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RUNCHARGER

I don't mind the all makes however they are doing that because of lack of participation of Mopars. So, it is probably a downhill slide unfortunately.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

We all like Vegas as a destination but it can be a brutal drive, I've endured sand storms that destroy paint jobs, I've endured heavy bumper to bumper traffic rolling at 90+ MPH which would be fine except you know the guy three cars up with the bald tires is gonna be a bumper car disaster soon....

At least MATS is in the cool part of the year, even if it does get surprise snow flurries....   I attended the Pacific Nationals in Vegas back in August of 96.... Brutal heat.... Wonder why that event never took off?? :rofl:

Sema works cause 99% of the cars are trailered to the event....

Honestly the show I'd love to see brought back would be the old Power in the Pines show, the venue was beautiful, the drive to & from was awesome...  And in the evening Tahoe wasn't far to drive.... And also an awesome drive....

RUNCHARGER

True that Wild: I hate the asphalt jungle anyway. The nice thing about Vegas is it's easy to get to if you aren't bringing a car but not bringing a car isn't much fun. The dragstrip was nice too. Pretty sure I'm not going back to Vegas though. I have absolutely zero interest in SEMA, I like real cars bolted together and driven by real people.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I was at the Pac Nats in 96 also , enjoyed the show that year :bigthumb:

1 Wild R/T

cudajunction

When they opened it up for all cars that is when some Moparians decided they did not need to support the event if it was not a Mopar show. 

It did snow at this event years ago, that was pretty exciting to see the locals freak out.  Almost every year, the wind is an issue at this show.  Watching a canopy fly over the show field is a heart stopper.

This might be a good year to pass and see what those that do go have to say about the changes.

Chryco Psycho

NO way I can make it , I would not mind going but just not possible  :Thud: