Main Menu

going to carlisle for the first time

Started by Nel, December 09, 2022, 10:08:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Nel

Hi, Im planning to take my dad to Carlisle for its 75 years old, he been dream going for a long time but never had the chance to go. Ive been doing alot of reading, but still want your advise on place to stay, parking and what not to miss. We are are not taking the Challenger.

Thanks

anlauto

What are you driving ? Is it a decent looking Mopar like a RAM, or new Challenger/Charger/Durango ?
The reason I ask is because it's way better to register your vehicle for the show field. That gets you great parking and 24hr admittance to the show field for all three days and even earlier...for a lot less money :bigmoney:
I have three vending spots, but still enter my RAM in the show most years
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

69BFan

As Alan mentions, if you can enter the gates as either a show participant or a vendor, I feel that it will be a more enjoyable experience as you will have your car or truck on the grounds.  There is so much to see, that you will need at least two or possible three days to take most of it in.  The grounds are huge and you will be doing a lots of walking.  You might want to check in on renting a mobility scooter if walking a long distance is an issue.  Some of the grounds are on a pretty steep hillside, so take that in mind.  At least one of the days from Thursday through Sunday, there will be most probably be a pretty strong thunderstorm that will blow in for an hour or so and dump some heavy rain.  Otherwise, it will probably be hot and humid, so dress and prepare accordingly.  That is why it is nice to have a vehicle on the grounds so that you can walk back to your car and take a break and recharge.  They generally have a tram running over the grounds to help in getting people to various areas of the venue.

I believe up through the first of January, Carlisle is offering a 20% off special for show field or spectator packages.  Also remember to register under the club affiliation for your desired group as it helps in getting these groups a tent for the event.  The ebody.org site is listed under the various clubs/groups.

I would say that most hotels within Carlisle are already booked.  Rooms will be cancelled up through the show dates, so you can keep your eye open and keep checking if you are wanting to be right in Carlisle.  But be forewarned that even the ratty dumps charge a premium for a Thursday through Saturday stay.  Check around for availability of a room in Mechanicsburg, Harrisburg or Chambersburg.  You will be driving 20 to 30 miles, but it is an easy drive and find a much better lodging at a more reasonable price, but it will still be expensive.  Also check the AirBnB sites, there are some that may better fit your desires.

Personally, with this being your first time, I would arrive by midday on Thursday so that you can drive over to the grounds and check things out.  This is move in day for most of the vendors and the feature vehicles are being staged as well for the weekend.  Then on Thursday evening, Carlisle puts on a cruise in over at the Expo center which is just outside of the gates.  Use Friday to take a walk through the vendor area and to check out Buildings T and Y for the feature vehicles and the Survivor Tent.  Most of the show cars start arriving on Friday and I feel that Saturday is the best day to spend on the show field if your wanting to see the largest turnout of vehicles.  By 2 to 3 o'clock on Saturday, vendors will be already packing things up and many of them will be off of the grounds by 6 or 7 that evening.  Even the show field is probably only a third of the turnout on Sunday, as most people use Sunday as a travel day to get back home.

The Carlisle staff puts on a really good event.  The grounds are fairly well laid out as  Carlisle is the home to at least 8 major car shows over the Summer, so they want you to have a good time and to come back.  You can purchase decent food on the grounds at reasonable rates as compared to some events.  Showers and bathrooms are much better than most facilities offering similar shows.

Been going to Carlisle since 1992 as a vendor and still impressed on how well the event runs and the turnout of people and cars.  There may be lines to get in along the side streets, but they handle the crowd pretty well.

A large number of guys and girls on the site attend the show, so ask away and I am sure that someone can answer most of your questions.  Also, you can always call the Carlisle Event office and get information straight from the people in charge.  They are very helpful and willing to get you an answer.

Enjoy your visit as those two to three days will fly by quickly and you will wonder where did it all go.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Rich G.

I don't know if you need to rent a golf cart in advance for your dad, but there are literally miles of walking to do if you are trying to see everything and sometimes it's hot as hell there. I've been going there for 20 years or more and I keep saying one day I'll see everything. Hasn't happened yet!

69BFan

To my knowledge, the only means of transportation on the grounds is mobility scooters that you can rent through Carlisle events.  Golf carts are not allowed during show hours of say 8 to 5.  I do know that the Carlisle staff does patrol the swap meet area heavily for the misuse of golf carts and unnecessary driving down the rows and aisles during show hours.  I do believe that if you can prove a medical necessity and proof of insurance you can bring your own mobility scooter onto the grounds for use during the day.   
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Nel

Wow thanks for all that info! Even do my dad his 75 he still in really good shape, he still work on is Wood Land with chain saw so shouldn't  be a problem to walk around. I'm going  to look this weekend  for place to stay I don't care if we have 1 hrs drive to do.

Has for car, we are going either with my ram or my dad caravan, or my hyundai elentra so I don't think we are going to register.
I'm not sure I understand the registration under the club thing. Can we do it if we don't gave a car on site?

Alan it would be a pleasure  to meet you, my dad, and I would like to discuss about a project with you.

anlauto

Yes Nel, it's always a pleasure meeting up with members, and new people at the show. As I mentioned, I have three vending spots that I hang out at most of the weekend, I try to venture over to our club tent once and awhile too...My hotel is 2 miles from the show, a real dumpy place and last year the price skyrocketed to $225 per night :o but the show is worth it in my opinion...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Nel

Will sure try to meet members, every body seem to be so nice and helpful. Would like to say thank you in person.

anlauto

E-Bodies has a large tent on the show field where everybody hangs out, and always very welcoming to any new first timers  :drinkingbud:

moparroy

I usually book late - like a month sometimes a week or two in advance just to see the weather and what's going on. I often stay at the Best Western in Chambersburg (as long as you don't mind the smell of curry in the hallway LOL). Have stayed at the Days Inn there too. Its a bit of a drive before and after show - but hey I like to drive. See a few others from the show in Chambersburg each year. At that distance never had an issue to get a room.
Agree - having a car / spot on the field is nice - always do.
As to what to see - depends why you are there. I started going mainly for parts for my Cuda project so I spend most of my time in the swap meet - and you can kill 2 days there easy.
If you're there to see cars - then show field. Once I finish the Cuda I'll spend more time there - for now mostly go there to check out assembly details.
I usually check out the mfg midway and specialty indoor displays. I remember the first year I went was also to see the new Challenger prototype back in '08(?). Curious if some e-models will be there next year.
It is a lot of walking for sure.

torredcuda

The un-official club hotels are 20-30 minutes away, I assume a bunch of us staying at them again this year?  I usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express. The parking lot pizza party is usually the most fun of the whole weekend.

Here is a list of hotels in the immediate area of the club parking lot gathering:

Super 8 - 175 Beacon Hill Blvd, New Cumberland, PA 17070 - (717)774-6200

La Quinta New Cumberland - 130 Limekiln Rd., New Cumberland, PA, 17070 - (717)774-8888

Holiday Inn Express - 190 Beacon Hill Blvd, New Cumberland PA 17070 - (717)774-6400

Fairfield Inn - 185 Beacon Hill Blvd, New Cumberland PA 17070 - (717)774-0100
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Spikedog08

CARLISLE CLUB MEET 2023 JULY 14th - JULY 16th

So I want everyone to know that our club "E-Bodies.org" has their club meet at the Chrysler Carlisle Events show every year!  All Members are welcome to participate in the activities of the club and certainly hang with this amazing group!  The club supplies a large tent at the show for all to enjoy and take a break from the heat / sun / show!  Our schedule is typically as follows:

THURSDAY - pre-show dinner at the Steakhouse next to the club group of hotels in New Cumberland.  Some of us hit the Boomerang Bar and Grill after checking in to our rooms.

FRIDAY - We typically have the club dinner at Dodge City 1037 Paxton St #1645, Harrisburg, PA 17104.  Meet about 7:30 and will confirm as we get closer to the show.

SATURDAY - Lunch is served at the club tent for all to enjoy.  This is usually Noon or 1:00 and we have food either made at the tent or catered in. 

SATURDAY NIGHT - Pizza Party at the Hotel parking lot where we enjoy some pies and talk about our adventures at the show!  All are welcome.  Usually around 8:00 . . I know some are really tired after a long day of walking but this is a great time to meet other members and talk CARS! 

Although the show does continue on Sunday, not too many stick around as a lot of us have a long ride home.  Please be sure to select our club in the drop down when registering for the showfield.  If you know of others that are going to attend the show and don't have a club affiliation  . . please suggest they select our club as well.  Lastly . . if you haven't registered for the FORUM of E-Bodies.org . . certainly sign up and be a part of that as well.

Here is a list of hotels in the immediate area of the club parking lot gathering: 

Super 8 - 175 Beacon Hill Blvd, New Cumberland, PA 17070 - (717)774-6200

La Quinta New Cumberland - 130 Limekiln Rd., New Cumberland, PA, 17070 - (717)774-8888

Holiday Inn Express - 190 Beacon Hill Blvd, New Cumberland PA 17070 - (717)774-6400

Fairfield Inn - 185 Beacon Hill Blvd, New Cumberland PA 17070 - (717)774-0100
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

captcolour

Before having vendor spots and parking inside, as a spectator, I would park at the end of Cavalry Street right at Gate 7.  If I got lucky, sometimes could park on the street for free.  Otherwise, guy at the very end charges like $10 to park on this property right at the gate.  Goes directly into the swap meet area.

Nel

Thank for all they info. The hotel is book, it's about a 30 min drive but it okay. We go as spectators, do I have to in as a member of the club somewhere? 

Also is there going be seller like ESPO? We need a pair of leaf spring ans it would be a good time to pickup and avoid crazy shipping.

We would like also to find good or restores hood hinges. Meaby We cloud bring our has a core, and get good ones?

anlauto

With the larger companies, you might be wise to pre-order and have them bring big stuff for you.
If you drive a MOPAR, it's cheaper to enter it in the show, then to look for and pay for parking every day, plus you'll have your car on the show field to put your parts in.