Main Menu

1970 AAR Cuda, FC7, 4 spd. $200k

Started by LoStHeMi, July 06, 2023, 02:54:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

Nice looking car but for that much money, I'd expect them to correct a few items.
Terry W.

anlauto

WAY TOO MANY things wrong with the resto to get to the $200K mark..

Just look at the master cylinder  :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Chinese trim rings turned me off right away, then the aircleaner and M/C, painted sheetmetal on the inner quarters. I stopped there. $100k too high, lots of parts to find and labour to do.
Sheldon

anlauto

It was probably restored by an "all makes, all models" shop with a lot of money being spent on the paint job :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Yes and these are the cars that get the bucks at an auction. It almost doesn't pay to make them correct anymore. Personal satisfaction is all the reward you get for making them right.
I guess that's why people just Gen III Hemi every car they build, not my deal though. But I can see the reasoning.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

I'd bet the dealer selling it based their asking price on this similar AAR that sold at Mecum Indy in May for $198,000.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/554423/1970-plymouth-aar-cuda/
The one in Indy appears to be a much nicer restoration therefore this one being advertised is pushing it some to use it for a "comp" if that is in fact what they did.
Though the Indy one had its share of flaws.  I saw it in person and it was very nice.  However it had some mostly easily correctable issues under the hood, it didn't have the round hole oil filter, dipstick painted orange not black, etc. The thing that made me laugh was it had a hood pop up spring on it.  :rofl:
I've seen hundreds of T/As and AARs before but this is the first one I've ever seen where someone thought it should have a hood pop up spring!  Or maybe they did that so they didn't have to carefully grab the hood by the scoop opening to lift it?  If so they still should remove the spring when displaying the car as it looks dumb, and might stress the fiberglas above it?
Wrong space saver too.
Not worth $198K IMO but strange things happen at auctions.