Main Menu

1970 Challenger TA California Blue Plate

Started by MasonDaniel7, July 26, 2021, 12:18:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MasonDaniel7

Mopsquad

Great color for a T/A. The white roof looks out of place.  At 95K, and an automatic.  Wish the seller good luck.   :dunno:

JH27N0B

You have to wonder about a seller who can't be bothered to even pull their car out of the garage to take pictures of it.  I wonder if it even runs?

Bossgold

Classic case of challenger T/As are hot, prices up, so I'll throw it out there and see what I can get. I still believe when your approaching $ 100K that marketing the car correctly and addressing key questions up front helps the sale vs having the car linger and over time people dismiss the car as an issue cause it did not sell. Just like the other B5 Blue that is now going to Mecum Monterey.

headejm

Challenger in NC

Not one picture of the Blue plate!!   :dunno:

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: headejm on July 26, 2021, 10:57:20 AM
What is a "California Blue Plate"?

It's the blue plate with gold letters/numbers that all the cars had back in the days of "CHiPs"

Bossgold

California changed their License Plate formats from 1969 which were black and yellow to 1970-1980 Blue and Yellow. They don't make the blue plates any more(they re-make the 1963-1969 plates now) so that's why people mention it. You can get them restored to original condition. Here is mine for my 70 AAR

Purepony

70vert

I do think that looks good but does it really add any value? I wouldn't care, and especially if not sold in CA.

Bossgold

Quote from: 70vert on July 26, 2021, 12:27:28 PM
I do think that looks good but does it really add any value? I wouldn't care, and especially if not sold in CA.

Its another my car is original selling point. I would never bring it up because the car either has them or they don't......but it is nice when they are the 1970 original plates and they are restored! What was interesting is CA offered to bring the 1963-1969 plates and the 1970-1980 plates back but it was purely based on submitted orders for these personalized classic plates($$$). I have all 1970 cars so I wanted the orders to hit the limit which would allow CA to re-offer the Blue/yellow 70's again. The Black and yellow plates of 1963-1969 hit the order limit pretty quick and the plates were offered. The 1970-1980 Blue and yellows never quite made enough demand orders so CA turned down bringing them back......bummed out a lot of us 1970's owners

floorit426

It is my understanding that, if you buy a correct year set of plates, at a swap meet, or such, that the Ca. DMV can activate those plates to your car. As long as the set in question are no longer linked to any other vehicle, you're good to go. I'm not positive, but certainly would be worth checking out.

70vert

That is how it is in Texas, in fact that's exactly what I've done that with my 70!
Edit: dang it, why do some pics rotate and is there a way to stop that?

Quote from: floorit426 on July 26, 2021, 07:27:21 PM
It is my understanding that, if you buy a correct year set of plates, at a swap meet, or such, that the Ca. DMV can activate those plates to your car. As long as the set in question are no longer linked to any other vehicle, you're good to go. I'm not positive, but certainly would be worth checking out.

Bossgold

Quote from: 70vert on July 26, 2021, 07:48:45 PM
That is how it is in Texas, in fact that's exactly what I've done that with my 70!
Edit: dang it, why do some pics rotate and is there a way to stop that?

Quote from: floorit426 on July 26, 2021, 07:27:21 PM

Here you go.

70 Top Banana

I grew up in California. As a kid in the sixties the license plates were black with yellow letters. I have three sets that came off of my dads cars. One set of black and yellow truck plates. I believe, when they decided to move to the blue background and yellow letters, the year was split, part of the year was Black and yellow and the rest of the year was blue and yellow.