Main Menu

1970 Challenger T/A, Red, auto, matching numbers

Started by LoStHeMi, July 02, 2024, 04:12:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

"Concours restoration" with a rusty turn signal lever.  :drunk:

JH27N0B

Quote from: headejm on July 02, 2024, 04:55:21 PM"Concours restoration" with a rusty turn signal lever.  :drunk:
Interesting how they don't have any pictures of the engine compartment.
I hate when I see 340 Six Pak fender decals installed backwards.
Challenger grille emblem installed too low.  Later rear valence with incorrect plate bracket. Steel wheels need the trim rings to look cool on T/As.
Maybe a good driver local show car but far from concourse!

headejm

@JH27N0B For several years on here I've heard about T/A fender decals installed backwards. Can you describe or show what the correct way to install the fender decals?  :thankyou:

erik70rt

Quote from: headejm on July 03, 2024, 08:50:48 AM@JH27N0B For several years on here I've heard about T/A fender decals installed backwards. Can you describe or show what the correct way to install the fender decals?  :thankyou:

These are correct.  Notice the slope/angle of the decal in relation to the wheel opening.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

JH27N0B

Here is mine in 1979 or 80 when it still wore its original paint. To be fair, there have been a few examples where they put the decals on wrong at the factory.  But unless a car is documented back to when it had original paint showing fender decals backwards, there is no excuse for a restored car to have them installed wrong.

tparker

Man I love TA's.  Usually I love red, but for some reason the red  T/A doesn't do it for me. I think I just prefer the High Impact bright colors.

Yeah, kinda weird how restored it is but both the turn signal and brake pedal arm is rusty, but everything is cleaner than it was at the dealership. I can't figure out what is meant by backwards decal. Not seeing it. But this is why I feel funny about restorations. Although I get the idea, I just feel that people are trying to pass of a car as something it isn't. Wether its just a redone original, or a conversion. Although the owner may not try to pass it off, later down the road someone will and if you can't spot a backwards decal, you might get  hosed.

Anyways, I'd buy this car, maybe not for the price they are asking for it. But I'd take it :)

JH27N0B

It is an auction car, so we will see what it bids to.
Many errors I see in restored Mopars I blame on a shop that restores all makes and doesn't know the fine details that a shop that specializes in one make are very familiar with.
The owner of Weathertech, who has made a fortune and is a big car fan with a amazing collection including a Ferrari GTO he reportedly paid 80M for, bought a real hemi Challenger convertible at Mecum.  He took it to the shop he used to work on his cars for a concours restoration.
It was entered in MCACN for OE gold judging and someone tapped them on the shoulder and said you might not want to have this car judged as you will be disappointed.  It was full of Year One parts and had a ton of Mopar restoration errors.  Why he didn't do his homework and send it to someone like Roger Gibson I do not know.

erik70rt

Quote from: tparker on July 03, 2024, 10:20:43 AMMan I love TA's.  Usually I love red, but for some reason the red  T/A doesn't do it for me. I think I just prefer the High Impact bright colors.

Yeah, kinda weird how restored it is but both the turn signal and brake pedal arm is rusty, but everything is cleaner than it was at the dealership. I can't figure out what is meant by backwards decal. Not seeing it. But this is why I feel funny about restorations. Although I get the idea, I just feel that people are trying to pass of a car as something it isn't. Wether its just a redone original, or a conversion. Although the owner may not try to pass it off, later down the road someone will and if you can't spot a backwards decal, you might get  hosed.

Anyways, I'd buy this car, maybe not for the price they are asking for it. But I'd take it :)

Look at the 340 six pack decal on the Mecum car.  The angle of the decal is opposite of the wheel opening.  That's what makes it backwards.  They've got the right side decal on the left fender.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

headejm

"  I can't figure out what is meant by backwards decal. Not seeing it."

Me either.

JH27N0B

The passenger side is correct, the drivers side they used a second passenger side decal instead of a drivers side one.

Skdmark

Quote from: headejm on July 03, 2024, 11:01:44 AM"  I can't figure out what is meant by backwards decal. Not seeing it."

Me either.

Correctly installed decals have the font forward leaning. If it is leaning back it is on the wrong side.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

tparker

Ah, got it. LOL. Good thing I don't have a pocket full of cash. I would soon be parted with it.