Main Menu

70 Challenger R/T 383 auto matching numbers project

Started by socalef9, October 30, 2018, 08:25:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

Well, you certainly couldn't buy and build one for that. By the way, welcome to the site and good luck with your quest.  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

autoxcuda

Quote from: socalef9 on October 31, 2018, 07:24:01 PM
Quote from: autoxcuda on October 31, 2018, 10:19:16 AM
1) Did you look at the Mopars for sale at Fall Fling on Saturday?

2) Would this be your first Mopar?

3) Have you restored a car to this extent before?

I did not make it to fall fling due to work, but even still, Mopar's seem to be quite a bit more expensive in socal as opposed to other parts of the country.

This would indeed be my first venture into Mopar

I have not restored a car from this level of disassembly. I do not doubt my abilities to do it. I bought my Cougar pretty much complete, but in the process of fixing it, it was pretty much torn apart and put back together in one way or another.

Im currently looking at this 71 challenger: https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/1971-challenger-440-auto-non-numbers-matching.16879/

Looks like a bit more complete, although its not an r/t, nor a big block car. For the money, it looks better than most cars on the west coast.

Sorry if that came off doubting your capabilities.

It's more about parts recognition. When a car is blown apart it's very tough to see what is missing. Shuffling through boxes of parts is really though to take inventory of. These Ebody parts are very hard and expensive to come by. A whole different level.

And the picture shows the seller bought it taken apart. So it's all second info of what's there and what's not. He doesn't know either.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

socalef9

Oh i agree, and i dont think you were doubting anything. I know parts are going to be missing. I may have more faith of what he did have was all bagged and tagged, but ive yet to see a car come up with parts organized like that. And you are also correct that i would not notice any missing parts since i dont recognize them

340challconvert

The 70 RT Challenger with the matching numbers looks like a decent project.
It is hard to find a clean body and if the work was done properly and everything matches; it could be a reasonable deal.
As people have mentioned, parts are expensive and you would have to do a complete review of what parts come with the car. 
Most of us never break even or stay under what any of our cars are worth on the open market (exceptions of course for the rare cars that are out there).
You could buy a car needing more work but you would spend the difference getting it to the level that the RT Challenger appears to be in now.
RT 383 Challengers in un-restored condition, but intact sell in the 20K=25K range, and usually need everything.
If the guy was meticulous and baagged and tagged everything, it will tell you something about how he operates.
Our cars are an expensive hobby and a labor of love.
If you are like me (a better mechanic and a marginal body/metal work man) I don't mind buying a body that needs minimal work and lots of mechanical and assembly stuff that I could put together myself.
Good luck with what you decide to do.
:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible