Main Menu

1970 Hemi Challenger Convertible

Started by Challenger in NC, May 18, 2018, 09:18:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Nice car, could use some work.....I'll gladly restore it for anybody that wants to buy it.....

The fender tag looks to be in great shape... :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

Being discussed on Moparts as well.

QuoteThat Challenger keeps coming back to haunt me. Myself and 3 or 4 other St. Louis Mopar guys looked at it in the spring of 74 when it sat on a used car lot, Weber Park Motors with a 1500.00 asking price. It was Sublime then, with a black bumblebee stripe. A friend of mine was the one who originally pulled the engine for the kid who bought the car. Kid couldn't afford the gas, so he had my buddy swap in a junkyard 318. Story about the block numbers being ground off and restamped for a 66 Satellite is all true. the Hemi eventually wound up with a local collector who knew the history of the block, and sat on it for many years. He finally sold it to another local guy, who then sold it to the car's owner so it could be reunited with the car. If that car could talk, it could write a best-selling book!

Katfish

Is that car even worth half of the current $750k bid, or am I just that out of touch on prices?

packnsix

What's a top notch restoration on a car like that 200K? If so I think there is still room for the purchase to make sense money wise. The car is probably between 1.25m and 1.5m when done (I might be light on that).

This one sold for 1.65M in 2016
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0116-229800/1970-dodge-hemi-challenger-rt-convertible/

pyro273

Well, he probably wants at least $1M for it, if not more and, IMHO, the only way to do that car is to put it back to exactly what it was when it left the factory. so $$$ needed there.  The story behind it is definitely pretty interesting but I don't know how much it adds to the value of the car.

Challenger in NC

So what came with the A14 package?

1 Wild R/T

Challenger in NC

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 18, 2018, 04:08:23 PM
Quote from: Challenger in NC on May 18, 2018, 03:40:07 PM
So what came with the A14 package?

A14 is the SPD

Ah, should have known based on the position of the code on the tag.

anlauto

Quote from: packnsix on May 18, 2018, 02:32:41 PM
What's a top notch restoration on a car like that 200K? If so I think there is still room for the purchase to make sense money wise. The car is probably between 1.25m and 1.5m when done (I might be light on that).

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0116-229800/1970-dodge-hemi-challenger-rt-convertible/

Why would a restoration on this car cost twice as much as any other car ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

packnsix

Quote from: anlauto on May 18, 2018, 05:27:51 PM
Quote from: packnsix on May 18, 2018, 02:32:41 PM

Why would a restoration on this car cost twice as much as any other car ?

Just an overestimation of a restoration using NOS date coded parts with all correct finishes. Even at that inflated restoration cost, the car is still a good buy even at $1m relatively speaking.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on May 18, 2018, 10:03:24 AM

Reading the thread on Moparts just affirms to me why I stopped going there.....what a bunch of Negative Nancy idiots :looney:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on May 19, 2018, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Burdar on May 18, 2018, 10:03:24 AM

Reading the thread on Moparts just affirms to me why I stopped going there.....what a bunch of Negative Nancy idiots :looney:

Been that way for a long time.. To bad it was a good place & theres still some good people there...

JH27N0B

Even NOM, I wonder what the market value of this car restored correctly back to FJ5 would be.
For whatever reason, hemi Challengers typically bring less than hemi cudas.  Even the best hemi Challenger convertible wouldn't be 2M like a hemi cuda vert would easily be.  Well, certainly the Diamanté, but I'm talking stock.
IIRC, the F8 one that the Brothers collection bought at a Mecum auction 5 or 6 years ago was $750K, and there was an FJ5 one at a Mecum Kissimmee last year but I don't recall it's bid to or sold price.

superdave

:rubeyes: Hemi Challenger convertible :unbelievable: That's pretty much as good as it gets in my book and I drive right by it quite often and never knew it was there. I always wondered what I might be driving by and not know about...now I know. :banana: :rofl: