Main Menu

1970 Plymouth Cuda 383 convertible survivor #s matching nearly all original

Started by MasonDaniel7, August 15, 2021, 12:24:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MasonDaniel7

anlauto

There goes the misuse of the word survivor again....poor guy thinks that "most of the original exhaust still" :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

larry4406

Nice looking car.

What is the decal on the drivers door jamb above the door ajar switch?

anlauto

JS29 will like the fact it has 2spd wipers with a rally dash  :haha: :haha: :haha: :slapme5:

The guy forgets to mention in the ad that the rally gauges were added...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

Quote from: larry4406 on August 15, 2021, 04:28:24 AM
Nice looking car.

That's a decal that was used on earlier models through '69, so it's a restoration fubar.

anlauto

js27

Does that undercarriage look awful clean and shiny for a 51 year old car  or is it just me.
JS27

mccannix

During that 'stealth' redo he forgot to add the grill redbars.
Also I wonder why it has the Barracuda conv top 1/4 moldings instead of the full
length Cuda convertible molding.
Beautiful car though.
He should have had at least a few pictures with the top up

anlauto

Quote from: js27 on August 15, 2021, 05:33:39 AM
Does that undercarriage look awful clean and shiny for a 51 year old car  or is it just me.
JS27

It's had a full ground up restoration using 50year old parts....some of the claims in the ad are unbelievable at best in my opinion. :alan2cents:

6bblgt

I wonder what dictionary he used for his survivor definition. "Clown World First Edition" ?

QuoteI elected to do "stealth" mechanical  upgrades such as adding Hemi suspension leafs / torsion bars, added HD front disc brakes, chassis stiffening, Source 440 stealth aluminium heads, Comp roller cam, Comp roller lifters, Comp roller rockers, upgraded push rods, aluminium intake, aluminium water pump & housing, new Holley perf carb, electronic ignition, custom made U.S. radiator that looks factory stock, MSD ignition, etc..

original pitted head pipes (I don't see any clearance flats ??) & tips - but replaced everything else & eliminated the factory mufflers   :crazytalk:  sounds mostly original to me - NOT!

SWAY BAR is up-side-down  :yes:

etc.
etc.
etc.

6bblgt

Quote from: mccannix on August 15, 2021, 05:39:36 AM
Also I wonder why it has the Barracuda conv top 1/4 moldings instead of the full
length Cuda convertible molding.

mid-September '69 to mid-October '69 there are hundreds of 'cudas that have "issues" with the STANDARD M31 "belt mouldings" - they are found on-or-off the car, on-or-off the fender tag & on-or-off the broadcast sheet in any possible combination

it's believed this is related to the time period of 1969 "E-series" broadcast sheets being used in ERROR

RzeroB

CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE!

Geez guys, it's shot full of holes and dead already!  :deadhorse:

Ok, so there are a lot of things that are not oem "correct." I don't know what everyone is driving, but I would be as happy as my Doberman with a big beef bone if I was cruising around in this drop-top.  :yes:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6pack

If your looking to purchase an E body ragtop and like this color, this is an ok car because most all can be fixed to your taste easily.  The price has to be adjusted though.

benguin

Quote from: JH27N0B on August 15, 2021, 04:59:45 AM
Quote from: larry4406 on August 15, 2021, 04:28:24 AM
Nice looking car.

That's a decal that was used on earlier models through '69, so it's a restoration fubar.

@JH27N0B - I'm curious about this-- my 1969 build from Hamtramck has one of those too, and I've had the car since 1977.  I've seen it on other 'original' 1970 Plymouths- common mistake in resto, or possible "Hey, use up these stickers before we throw them out" scenario?

Although the 80's were kind of foggy, and it's possible I got carried away at a vendor booth at a car show.  It may have been added on, but I definitely don't remember it.

JH27N0B

Honestly I'm not a guru so I don't have a file of documentation or copies of engineering documentation I can post or cite.  I started gathering parts and doing research for my T/A restoration over 20 years ago.  And early on I made a purchase from Performance Graphics and bought one of those stickers at the time thinking I needed it.  Later over the course of my research I found either through articles in magazines or from gurus discussing the issue on forums they stopped using that decal after the '69 model year. 
My T/A was original paint when I bought it and still even had a bunch of old oil change stickers and such on the door frame and it didn't have one of those stickers, so by April they were certainly gone.
Something like that they wouldn't have had any reason to use up.  It's a compliance sticker and if no longer required by the government they'd just stop using them and toss the remaining rolls of stickers in a dumpster.
It wouldn't totally surprise me if the use was stopped at the end of a calendar year rather than model year, but on the other hand I think it's widely accepted by the experts they aren't used after 1969 models.
Hopefully one of the gurus can chime in with better documentation but all I can say is I've never seen one on a survivor E body.