Main Menu

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Convertible AZ craigs

Started by mopartaz, November 09, 2020, 07:00:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RSI700VIPER

JH27N0B

Quote from: Skdmark on November 10, 2020, 11:06:15 AM
I would take the column auto with the buddy seat in a convertible like this. It fits the fun cruiser vibe.
AFAIK the buddy seat wasn't available in convertibles. I have no idea why not though.  I also think cloth seats were N/A in convertibles, which I am sure I'm not the only convertible owner who wishes his car had them.  3rd degree burns from sitting on a vinyl seat in a vert that's been parked in the sun top down is no fun! Cloth would be much nicer, except when it rains when you left the top down though.
A guy at a cruise once told me he special ordered a FC7 buddy seat 71 Challenger 340 convertible from Mr Norms. He wanted that seat so he could snuggle with his girl while driving.  He still bears a grudge against Mr Norm because he lost his job a month later, tried to cancel the order, but Mr Norm said too late, and car will be hard to sell so he kept the guys $500 deposit.  The guy wondered what ever happened to the car, and I wonder if they were really able to order one with that seat.

Skdmark

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 17, 2020, 01:04:55 PM
Quote from: Skdmark on November 10, 2020, 11:06:15 AM
I would take the column auto with the buddy seat in a convertible like this. It fits the fun cruiser vibe.
AFAIK the buddy seat wasn't available in convertibles. I have no idea why not though.  I also think cloth seats were N/A in convertibles, which I am sure I'm not the only convertible owner who wishes his car had them.  3rd degree burns from sitting on a vinyl seat in a vert that's been parked in the sun top down is no fun! Cloth would be much nicer, except when it rains when you left the top down though.
A guy at a cruise once told me he special ordered a FC7 buddy seat 71 Challenger 340 convertible from Mr Norms. He wanted that seat so he could snuggle with his girl while driving.  He still bears a grudge against Mr Norm because he lost his job a month later, tried to cancel the order, but Mr Norm said too late, and car will be hard to sell so he kept the guys $500 deposit.  The guy wondered what ever happened to the car, and I wonder if they were really able to order one with that seat.

Looking at the fender tag it was a bucket seat car. Someone added the buddy seat bench.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

JH27N0B

I suspect Mr Norm was going to have the seats swapped between a hardtop with buddy seats and the guy I met's ordered convertible which would come in with buckets, in his own shop.  Probably easier than getting a custom order set up through the factory.  He used to swap wheels around a lot between his cars, why not seats also.

Skdmark

@JH27N0B
Digging around on Hamtramck Historical...
Below is a 1970 Challenger order sheet for the interior. If I'm reading it correctly, the buddy seat was only available on JH23 and the cloth and vinyl was for JH23 and JS23. To your point Challenger convertibles only had vinyl or leather buckets (at least in '70).

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/OrderingInformation/1970/P14%201970%20D%20Code%20List.jpg
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

ragtopdodge