Main Menu

1971 PLYMOUTH 340 CUDA HIGHLY OPTIONED FULLY DOCUMENTED

Started by MasonDaniel7, May 20, 2022, 12:25:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BS27R1B

I owned this Cuda from around 2002 until 2006 when I sold the car back to George who is the current owner. George also happened to be the Cuda's third owner when it was in California. The ownership history for this Cuda is pretty well complete.
This Cuda is a very well known car and has tremendous documentation including Broadcast sheets and original window stickers. It took two window stickers to list all the options that were factory equipment. This Cuda is so recognizable and unique I had three previous owners contact me and tell me they owned it at one time.
It retained the original drivetrain when I owned it. I cannot comment on the fender tag and V6X code without digging out my old photos which are not readily accessible. I would confirm the sheet definitely listed body side mouldings and there is evidence to support this on the car.
As great as this Cuda is, and the over $5,100 original price tag, it does have some flaws that will require attention. I sold this Cuda when I felt prices for 71 340 Cudas had peaked at around $60,000 16 years ago. Obviously I was wrong.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Rick Simpson
"  objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are "

cuda hunter

Thanks for the knowledge Rick !! 
Do love hearing history and stories on specific cars like this! 

Still, one hell of a car ! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Looks familiar now that you mentioned it Rick :rubeyes: ....thanks for jumping in on the conversation....in your opinion, what's today's value on the car ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BS27R1B

The value to me Alan is a hard question to answer.
I sold this Cuda as I wasn't willing to spend the money I felt the car needed 16 years ago. I believed my time and money would be better spent on completing several Hemi cars I owned at the time. I still believe I name the right decision.
Looking at the photos in the ebay listing the car presents very well and when you consider all the options, the colour, matching drivetrain, documentation and the fact this has been a long term dry climate car there are very few comparables. No doubt tge demand for 1971 Cudas, especially 340 cars is off the charts these days.
Like all valuations you should start with what a the restored car would be worth. I personally feel that number would be $135,000 to $140,000US. The question is what would it cost to get this Cuda to that level. Take into account the car gas almost 150,000 mes on it. The car was hit on the passenger side in the 1970s and received a 'bodyshop' sloppy repair. The seller has noted bubbles in the quarters. The interior is original, as is the vinyl top. I would not go back to a side moulding but a purist might. What about the AC components?
I think a buyer could spend upwards of $75-80,000 on this Cuda, maybe more. With the current bid level at $75,000 today I would suggest this Cuda is at full value to me.
You must also consider the time it would take to get the car to the condition you want.
Fortunately, I have a very nice 71 Cuda that allows me to resist the temptation to chase this Cuda and make it whole again. From what I have seen some of the 71 Cudas sell for this year, I would be surprised to see my number blown out of the water.
"  objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are "

anlauto

Wow...I agree, it's amazing how 71 Cudas continue to climb in value  :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration