1973 Cuda special order paint

Started by Plumcrazy72, February 24, 2020, 08:13:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Plumcrazy72

1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Special Order paint certainly wasn't common, but it did exist. Paint code 999 on the fender tag and on the BCS.

Only problem when dealing with a fully restored car is knowing what colour it was painted originality. You would need "before" pictures, or some sort of original dealership order papers to prove what colour the car was painted . "999" would have been used for plum crazy purple, but it also would have been used for John Deere green, taxi cab yellow, etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

@HEMICUDA
Has a special order C body,  that was special ordered panther pink with the paperwork that shows it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

6bblgt

with some pre-restoration pics or other evidence of FC7, that would be a very special '73 'cuda - 340 w/4-speed & 3.55s  :burnout: but with a 22" radiator   :huh:
:takealook: is that a "dash cap" on this "stunning restoration"?

here are the tags from a '74 'cuda factory painted FC7 - it was on eBay years ago, but it is only a 318 car  :('

6bblgt

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cuda hunter

It appears to not have it's fender tag.
Wouldn't you get a new reproduction fender tag since you have all the information on the broadcast sheet? 

Is violet metallic the same color as fc7?

Does it say somewhere on the build sheet the actual color?  So without it saying on the broadcast sheet this car could have been taxi yellow? 

Stunning looking car !!  Looks great and the violet color does appear to be different from fc7.  Or? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

yes, FC7 = "plum crazy" = "in-violet"

correct, the broadcast sheet and/or fender tag will NOT spell out the actual "special order paint" color

since the original formula paint is NOT available (for any vintage paint), everything out there is someone's best educated guess using modern materials

cuda hunter

So the color is just an educated "claim". 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

the restorer and/or owner may have proof and/or evidence of the original color - just none of it is presented in the eBay auction

anlauto

I would like to think that someone making that claim has proof :yes:

71383bee

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 24, 2020, 09:48:26 AM
with some pre-restoration pics or other evidence of FC7, that would be a very special '73 'cuda - 340 w/4-speed & 3.55s  :burnout: but with a 22" radiator   :huh:
:takealook: is that a "dash cap" on this "stunning restoration"?

here are the tags from a '74 'cuda factory painted FC7 - it was on eBay years ago, but it is only a 318 car  :('

The power steering pump would be a federal unit with a cooler if it had the 3.55 axle package too.  That looks like a saginaw.  A lot of little things off in the engine bay too.  Not bad, but not correct for the show restoration claims. 

I hate to say it but something seems a bit off about it.  It does look good though and would be excellent if its a real deal.  The minor items are fixable, but why put in a radiator that has NEVER need on a 340 E body?
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top