Main Menu

4spd Lemon Twist AAR.. Mecum Harrisburg

Started by LoStHeMi, June 30, 2022, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

autoxcuda

What a dip$h!t new owner !

He's made a mess of that car. Totally neglected! Someone please clean that thing.

That car was restored and owned by a friend for years. Those tires are real originals, not repops. Real 15x7 trim rings this new owner dented up. 100% original sheet metal.

Nowadays the before restored condition of that AAR would be termed "survivor" and it would probably never be restored.

Sold by Fusion Motorsports, IIRC for low 90's about 4-5? years ago
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

MONC

Quote from: autoxcuda on June 30, 2022, 11:32:39 PM

He's made a mess of that car. Totally neglected! Someone please clean that thing.

That car was restored and owned by a friend for years. Those tires are real originals, not repops. Real 15x7 trim rings this new owner dented up. 100% original sheet metal.

Nowadays the before restored condition of that AAR would be termed "survivor" and it would probably never be restored.

What a shame. The car looks neglected for sure. Was wondering about why it looked restored yet ignored and/or abused - thanks for the back story.
Is it an original 4 speed car with non matching tranny?
Any idea who did the resto?  And the very least they got the mufflers right - one of my pet peeves is mufflers that aren't blacked out on these cars when undergoing a top notch resto. Makes me wonder what else they did wrong.

Would love to own it though - assuming it runs okay. Love the non console 4 speed cars. And its got power steering ! ( unusual with a standard dash).

autoxcuda

Quote from: MONC on July 01, 2022, 05:50:19 AM

What a shame. The car looks neglected for sure. Was wondering about why it looked restored yet ignored and/or abused - thanks for the back story.
Is it an original 4 speed car with non matching tranny?
Any idea who did the resto?  And the very least they got the mufflers right - one of my pet peeves is mufflers that aren't blacked out on these cars when undergoing a top notch resto. Makes me wonder what else they did wrong.

Would love to own it though - assuming it runs okay. Love the non console 4 speed cars. And its got power steering ! ( unusual with a standard dash).

Oh yes, original 4spd car. Nothing changed from the buildsheet. I believe it's 100% all numbers. It was a decent looking driver in the early 90's before restoration. Bob Mosher owned it and sold it to the fellow clubmember. Then he took personal care into restoring it all himself. It's featured in a magazine Body and Paint article (maybe a few mags). I think Hot Rod or Mopar Muscle. Can't remember. I bet it's the magazine you see in the trunk.

It won best of show at Spring Fling is late 90's. At it's time, it was a benchmark. But as we all know the hobby has evolved, new repro parts, more knowledge, and the bar always raises.

If you look at old Spring Fling pictures it usually shows up. I don't have any on this computer handy.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

MONC

Gotcha, thanks for the background info.
So what do you think it'll go for?

autoxcuda

Quote from: MONC on July 01, 2022, 10:47:31 AM
Gotcha, thanks for the background info.
So what do you think it'll go for?

It's an auction. They are all over the place.

It's a lousy presentation of a rock solid car. Rock solid cars I don't think do that well with auction crowd unless they have a ton of hype, pomp, and circumstance. And this looks like it's being sold by a dummy.

MONC

Fair enough. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Smallblock340

Link to the ad on the Fusion Motor Company site: https://www.fusionmotorco.com/vehicles/346/1970-plymouth-aar-cuda
VIN: BS23J0B305111 

Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

MONC

Awesome thanks for posting.
Looked a lot better then
What's with the prop rod holding up the hood?
Hopefully that has been addressed since then.

Is it Fusion that is selling the car?  I noticed rear license plate is the same on Mecum as it is on Fusion's website pics.

autoxcuda

Quote from: MONC on July 05, 2022, 05:48:16 AM
Awesome thanks for posting.
Looked a lot better then
What's with the prop rod holding up the hood?
Hopefully that has been addressed since then.

Is it Fusion that is selling the car?  I noticed rear license plate is the same on Mecum as it is on Fusion's website pics.

The prop rod is to give extra support for a 100% original hood. Call it preventative maintenance. They all like to bow. The game is to slow the natural process. The owner/restored of this AAR owned the car for 25+ years. He sold it to downsize and position himself for retirement. Immense attention to detail, this car had care and operating rituals rivaled by few. Read the Fusion add of what "extra" came with the car. It sickens me to see how this car has been treated.

Smart buyers ask about pre-resto pictures... Well, the guy was a professional photographer, that owned a photo studio. He shot Hugh Hefner's wedding. There are pictures (real 1995 photos) showing the provenance of everything. To a level rarely seen back then. Hopefully this new owner didn't throw them out.  ::)

I think people like to keep the California plates on to prove it was a California car. Even if it's newer historical plate. Seller has multiple cars, maybe never got around to new plate. He's got multi car collection, some are not maintained much (like this), and he's selling a handful at this auction all at once. I'm seeing sort of a theme here.

Here's some pics from the Fusion site:

MoparCarGuy

For those wanting to see the VIN BS23J0B305111 fender tag.

LoStHeMi

i never was a fan of yellow....  but,,, on an AAR and seeing it on a Hellcat etc.. it really gets me....   not too many perfect AAR's out there...  i should find my pics from SoCal back in the 80's....  USMC days... nice line-up of original AAR's...    i do like the hood comment...   anywhere i go,,  70 T/A .... there's a 99% chance someone will call out the bowed hood....   :looney:

MONC

Quote from: LoStHeMi on July 05, 2022, 03:26:05 PM
i never was a fan of yellow....  but,,, on an AAR and seeing it on a Hellcat etc.. it really gets me....   not too many perfect AAR's out there...  i should find my pics from SoCal back in the 80's....  USMC days... nice line-up of original AAR's...    i do like the hood comment...   anywhere i go,,  70 T/A .... there's a 99% chance someone will call out the bowed hood....   :looney:

Have had many FY1 Mopars, and have shied away from the color for a while.  I do like how this one is optioned though.
Bowed hood tells me hood is original, don't mind it at all.
What concerns me is if that hood can't stay open on its own - that's an issue.

LoStHeMi

yeah.... didn't look to see about hood springs etc....  i've had ppl tell me to put on other ones to stop the bow.... little late now... and i like my T/A with it's born-with parts....  the bow is character...  :bigthumb:

MONC

Found the issue of Mopar Muscle it was featured in. 
So it was restored 22 years ago mostly by one guy in his garage- Kudos to him !
To the tune of $16K no less! - Sure it was 22 years ago, but even adjusting for inflation, it's only about $27K.

Makes you wonder how $300K was spent on the green one, as Alan had stated.