Main Menu

red 4spd V-code 70 Cuda at Barrett-Jackson

Started by redzed, January 23, 2024, 06:53:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

redzed

there are several 4spd 1970 V-code Cudas at Barrett-Jackson this week. I'm interested in one, but I'm not going to be there. It's Lot 750.1 on the block Thursday.
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-PLYMOUTH-CUDA-CUSTOM-COUPE-271778
Description is "Lot #750.1 - This rotisserie-restored custom 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda is powered by the correct 440ci Six-Pack engine, with a 4-speed manual transmission, a pistol-grip shifter and a Dana 60 Trac Pak. It is finished in red with a Shaker hood and red-painted bumpers over a red interior featuring a console, bucket seats, a wood steering wheel and a Rallye instrument cluster. This car is riding on Rallye wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich tires."

I found an old internet ad from around 2014 when the car seemed to be the same. Correct but not original motor. Ad has pics of fender and VIN tags.
https://www.americanmusclecarz.com/vehicles/2540/1970-plymouth-cuda

Question is: Why is the car labeled as a Custom in the Barrett-Jackson listing? Car appears restored to stock. Is the "Custom" moniker used when it's a re-body? I've seen other B-J listings where rebody was stated in the description.

I believe David Wise still vets cars for B-J. Called his office last week trying to arrange an inspection, but did not get a call back.

JH27N0B

I was watching a video by Rocket Restorations in Washington today about Mecum and he said his brother was at Mecum and will be at BJ also.  You could talk to them and see if the brother does inspections.

redzed

Quote from: JH27N0B on January 23, 2024, 08:10:13 PMI was watching a video by Rocket Restorations in Washington today about Mecum and he said his brother was at Mecum and will be at BJ also.  You could talk to them and see if the brother does inspections.

Thanks, JH, I'll call them tomorrow.

usraptor

Barrett Jackson calls any car that has been modified from OEM stock in any manner a custom.  It could be somethig as simple as custom wheels or an engine swap and it's now a "custom" per BJ.  :looney:

redzed

Dave Wise did call me back today.
He said the car had no visible chassis stampings, so had to be labeled as a custom. His impression was that it looked pretty good, but owner wasn't willing to scrape paint to look for numbers, so isn't verifiable and therefore labeled a custom..

6bblgt

@redzed does the fender tag picture open for you?  can you post it?

Mr Cuda

Many LA red 6bbls, are red shaker, red bumpers. This is an LA build car from the end of November.
 Is it an LA plant thing? I know much has been said about everyone adding the red bubble on red cars
 Can't read the tag,  bubble won't be on the tag, no build sheet, being an LA. Just curious.

redzed

here's the tag pic from the old ad