Main Menu

Wanted: 1971 cuda project

Started by Schwartz67, January 06, 2019, 11:25:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Schwartz67

Looking for a 1971 cuda project, numbers matching that is restorable and not a rust bucket. Looking for something in he Northern California area if possible? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

70 Challenger Lover

What sort of budget are you looking at?

There was a decent Cuda project on eBay just the other day but the guy wanted 27k just as an opening bid. I've been looking myself and I think what you want will be no less than 20k. Probably more like 25 if you need numbers matching and rust free.

HP_Cuda

This is a tough ask unless you have deep pockets.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Schwartz67

My budget is under $20k for a project. The last one I found was about a year ago, and it was a disaster, but numbers matching 383....the guy wouldn't budge off of $23k. Any resources for filling my library on this car (factory spec books or good info on the 71's?) thanks!

anlauto

Others may disagree with me, but I think you're going to have to raise your budget or lower your expectations quite a bit....
The last 1971 Cuda project that I know of selling sold in the mid-$30's and it needed quite a bit of metal work.
It was sold by a member here to a member here ....

It was a very neat 71 Cuda project....You can see pictures here http://tonysparts.com/carsforsale.htm
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Schwartz67

That was a light project compared to the one I was looking at! I can be patient....I think once we go into a recession, people will be dumping their rides for a nice discount to what they are right. Ow...just gives me more time to save $$$

kathyscuda

70 Challenger Lover

Aniauto is right. Weren't many of the cars ever made and they are the absolute pinnacle for Mopar muscle car collectors if not all muscle car collectors. I was looking before the Great Recession and they never dipped in price. Sellers just waited it out. I've only witnessed them go up, never down. Unless you are willing to accept a complete piece of trash, you're probably gonna have to bite the bullet and up your budget. Especially if you want a real numbers matching Cuda rather than a non matching Barracuda.

We were talking about the Cuda Kathy just posted a few weeks ago. We were speculating that it was in pretty bad shape but I'm not sure anyone ever checked it out. Maybe it's the diamond in the rough you're looking for. It's been relisted several times now.

BS27R1B

Do not hold your breath.
You are best to go beat the bushes on your own at local and distant shows.
No matter what you will probably have to spend more than you hoped for.
I sold this 71 FJ6 340 4 speed project a year and a half ago for mid twenties. Buyer got what you see plus a non numbers 340 block, heads, intake and non numbers 4 speed. Good solid Utah body.
I also had at least six people in line to buy the car if my deal feel through.
"  objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are "

RUNCHARGER

That looks like a much better car than the one Tony's parts sold Rick.
Sheldon

anlauto

I took a peak at Ricks car at Moparfest two years ago and I do think it was better then Tony's , but that shows you the direction that 71 Cudas are climbing, form mid-$20's two year ago to mid-$30's this year....the market is crazy on these things, but what's more CRAZY is comparing a 1971 Cuda to a early B Body Hemi car.... :drunk:

Early B Body HEMI cars are the cheapest and least desired of all the Hemi cars... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

WCC

Quote from: Schwartz67 on January 09, 2019, 02:03:35 PM
That was a light project compared to the one I was looking at! I can be patient....I think once we go into a recession, people will be dumping their rides for a nice discount to what they are right. Ow...just gives me more time to save $$$

From what I've seen a recession normally only means that one may become available for sale, not that it will drop in price. The '71 is the most sought after year and the queues are long and thick. It took me years of looking to find mine and I had to pay up to beat others to it.
Also, the more beat up it is the more you will usually have to spend to get it sorted - there's a fine line between paying up front or paying later, but you do end up throwing money at it.
Best of luck in your search.

Schwartz67

Those cars that you are showing are worth the low to mid $20k range, Something that can be driven while restoring if you wanted. The "crispy" car is not worth $16k (to me). I have purchased a few cars since the Great Recession (79' s.e. T/A, and a 69' Camaro) and I know that these (71' cuda) cars, like most every other car went down in price. So since these cars follow the economy, I don't mind waiting so I can get a good deal 8). I am still interested in finding some more info on these cars like factory spec books, or general info as well, if anyone has advice on that? Thank you for any help!

E74cuda

Here's a few that I picked up. The Autumn Bronze Metallic car was from the original owners family three years ago. Nice original 340 4spd car with one repaint that was very weak. I ended up having it repainted and new vynal top. It was mid 30's to get into. The other is a local one that I've known about since the late 70's or so. I believe I'm the third owner. Courious Yellow 340 4spd. Picked it up around 1-1/2 years ago. I don't see these getting soft in pricing any time soon. When the economy gets soft they will still be one of the strongest collectable Mopars. 

E74cuda

This is an example that could mean prices on 71's have a way to go yet. I looked at this car in 2007 and it was definitely cool and in nice condition but not restored, kind of a driver with weak paint. It went for 99k, with fees 110k back then.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-PLYMOUTH-CUDA-SPORT-COUPE-43709