Main Menu

1973 - 1974 Challenger bumper filler pieces

Started by 6bblgt, June 05, 2019, 03:09:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

When the bumpers were moved out, what do the filler pieces look like?
anyone have some pictures?  Front and Rear

Are they the same 1973 verses 1974?

73_Cuda_4_Me

Not sure if Cuda vs Challenger would be the same, but could get pix of my 73's if they might be the same and would help... just let me know...

:notsure:

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

anlauto

Cuda and Challenger are definitely different, I believe 73 and 74 would be the same. @Burdar is our resident expert in that area  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

73 and 74 should be the same.  The fronts are a gray rubber.  They aren't painted.  The fronts have a metal backing piece that slips inside.  There are holes in the front fender where the metal backing pieces clip into place.  The front side of the side fillers screw to the header panel.  The center piece screws to the grill.

The rear fillers are painted argent to match the tail panel.  No metal backing pieces for the rear side fillers.

A staple held the side pieces to the center piece.

Like 99.9% of them, my center filler shrank and left some small gaps at the side filler strips.

fireguyfire

That's a sweet looking car; love the colour!
The front and rear bumper fillers on my 73 have been painted black.
If I strip the front spacers will the grey rubber still likely look good underneath, or will it need painting to make it look right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chryco Psycho

Hard to say what condition the rubber pieces will be in under the paint , you may just have to paint them grey again .
Burders chall is awesome !!

6bblgt

thanks!  :twothumbsup:
looks like I have a center rear
& a pair of the front outers - all for a Challenger

Chryco Psycho

Burdar

After stripping the black paint off, you can lightly wet sand the rubber if you need to.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

73chalngr

Not 100% sure but I thought the 73 rallye challenger had a black grill , black  bumper filler , and black panel on the back of car around the tail lights and the tail light had argent near the lenses, opposite of regular challenger.

Burdar

QuoteNot 100% sure but I thought the 73 rallye challenger had a black grill , black  bumper filler , and black panel on the back of car around the tail lights and the tail light had argent near the lenses, opposite of regular challenger.

The Rallye did get a black grill.  Non Rallye had a gray grill.  The front filler pieces were gray on both standard and Rallye.  As far as the tail panel...only the 72 Rallye got the black painted tail.  In 73 and 74 all Challengers had an argent tail.

My dad bought this car new.  Nothing was changed over the years.

Rdchallenger

I'm still debating if I want to move my bumpers back or not. If not, does anyone sell the rubber bumper pieces?

Burdar

No one reproduces the bumper fillers OR the larger bumper guards.  You'll have to find them at a swap meet.  I saw a couple pairs last weekend. 

If you do move the bumpers in, remove the fillers also.  I see a lot of people leave the fillers in place when they move in the bumpers.  It doesn't look right IMO.

Claudia

I believe these are the two outer, front filler pieces.