Main Menu

15 x 7 Rallye Wheels, Where did they all go?

Started by RSI700VIPER, June 23, 2022, 06:49:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RSI700VIPER

So 3 years ago I bought 4 sets of repop 15 x 7 Rallyes from Jegs for $90 each after using a coupon.  I mounted my last set tonight and decided to restock only to find out they have doubled in price to $189 and are out of stock at Summit.  I then did a search on Ebag and facebook for either new or used 15 x 7s and couldn't find any.  Polyglas tires have also gone up by 50%.  I know we have inflation and supply chain issues but double in 3 years?  I have 4 sets of 390 wheels including 1 set of early 390s without the part number.  Did they double in price also?
Shocking...         

anlauto

Price of parts have been going crazy lately, and I think a lot of reproduction parts a phasing out, not going to be made any more. The 17" wheels from Year One probably killed the 15" market  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

And just an FYI, All 14" and 15" Rally wheels regardless of width used the exact same center stamping.
Not many 15 X 7" Rally wheels were ever made in relation to the 6.5". Most were 14X 5.5 & 6". Most were tossed 40 years ago.
New, quality tooling is very expensive nowadays so Companies are rethinking the future market which is not 14 or 15" tires. Just about the only tires made in those sizes are reproductions now.
Raw materials are more expensive and volume is the name of the game.
Many more 18-20" tires used now than ever before and into the future.
Thank Barret /Jackson and other auctions for reviving the muscle car market.
If it weren't for the high prices that these cars bring now, the aftermarket would have never stepped up with quality reproductions.
20 Years ago the scrap yards were your only source for parts.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Bossgold

@RSI700VIPER about this time last year I bought 2 15x7 and 2 15x8 from summit which came from Wheel vintques. Not only did I use up all of their stock but after  11 shipped wheels they could not find a wheel within tolerance spec for runout. I then drove to Wheel vintques in Walnut CA and they gave me two replacements they had in stock....but said they were back ordered for 6 months because they could not get the steel to make rims. I still have two perfect 15X8 rallyes and at spring fling no one wanted them.

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: anlauto on June 23, 2022, 07:31:08 PM
Price of parts have been going crazy lately, and I think a lot of reproduction parts a phasing out, not going to be made any more. The 17" wheels from Year One probably killed the 15" market  :alan2cents:

Call me old fashioned but 17 inch wheels just look wrong on a vintage mopar.

anlauto

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on June 24, 2022, 04:38:35 AM

Yup, but everybody's doing it :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on June 24, 2022, 05:07:06 AM
Quote from: RSI700VIPER on June 24, 2022, 04:38:35 AM

Yup, but everybody's doing it :looney:

I agree 15" looks right. I would have used 15" rims but due to the current and future prospects for 15" performance rubber I had to make other plans. Unless your car is a show car all that is available is the repop polyglass , a few so so offerings performance wise, and a few drag radials . I don't see it improving going forward either?