Main Menu

1970 challenger and Cuda mirrors, & fresh air vent.

Started by 1970 FM3 Cuda, June 13, 2021, 08:02:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1970 FM3 Cuda

2 questions
1st question.  Did both 1970 challenger and Cuda come out with the bullet mirrors?  Looks like my cuda has different mirrors then my challenger.   

2nd question. The driver side  fresh air vent ( not a AC car) who sells the rubber vent door seal, do I have to make one?
Thanks

anlauto

Through all the years of E Bodies, Cuda and Challenger always shared the same mirrors.

1970 mirrors are unique to 1970 only. Left and right 1970 mirrors also had different shapes from one side to another.

All racing mirrors were also offered in chrome or painted body colour.

As from the rubber round ring seal inside the vent box, I don't think anybody is making it. The foam seal on the top of the box is made by DMT.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1970 FM3 Cuda

so, sounds like the 1970 cuda or challenger could of had dual chrome racing mirrors or they could of had dual chrome bullet mirrors? both mirrors are option.

anlauto

Not sure what you mean by "bullet" mirrors. The only optional mirrors were referred to as "racing mirrors"

These are 1970 Chrome racing mirrors also available painted body colour. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

headejm

@anlauto Do you prefer any particular brand or supplier for chrome racing mirrors? Not sure how many different ones there are.

anlauto

I've only ever purchased mirrors from PG Classics, Their chrome is nice, not sure about longevity  :dunno:  I've bought a few of their painted racing mirrors as well, but just recently while putting together a quote for a customer with an A Body, I've found that VANS Auto has better pricing on their mirrors  :bigmoney:

1970 FM3 Cuda

thank you for the info and the help.

classic industries calls them bullet mirror, by OER p/n 881238 ,pretty sure these are what we all grew up calling racing mirrors or really mirrors.

I have of 3 e-bodies 2 have the mirrors like classic calls out for, and my western sport special has taller mirrors like a 1971 would have , just wondering if in 1970 they also used the taller mirrors , or was it used on the western sport special?

thanks again for the info.

anlauto

Wow that's a good price on the 881238 at Classic Industries, that's for the tip....YES it looks like their idea of "bullet" mirrors are actually "racing" mirrors. One in the same :twothumbsup:

If yours look similar, only taller...then it could be 71+ E body mirrors, or 73-74 B Body, or even aftermarket mirrors....Post a picture if you can :takepicture:

benguin

For the Green Go Western Sport Special I had, per the fender tag here what that shows:

A91 - Western Sport Special = Challenger Only w/ Vinyl Roof, WSS Decal, Wood grain Instrument Panel Applique,
Rimblow Steering Wheel, Remote Control Mirror, Sill Molding, Belt Molding, Cowl Molding,
Front Splash Pan Scoop, F78 x 14" Tires, Rear Astrotone Painted Applique, Pedals Dress Up,
Bumper Guards Front & Rear and Rallye Wheels

G34 - Painted Driver Side Racing Mirror (Left) Remote Adjusting

So the racing mirror was not a part of the WSS package.   

Hope that helps!

anlauto

Quote from: benguin on June 13, 2021, 10:25:58 AM
For the Green Go Western Sport Special I had, per the fender tag here what that shows:

A91 - Western Sport Special = Challenger Only w/ Vinyl Roof, WSS Decal, Wood grain Instrument Panel Applique,
Rimblow Steering Wheel, Remote Control Mirror, Sill Molding, Belt Molding, Cowl Molding,
Front Splash Pan Scoop, F78 x 14" Tires, Rear Astrotone Painted Applique, Pedals Dress Up,
Bumper Guards Front & Rear and Rallye Wheels

G34 - Painted Driver Side Racing Mirror (Left) Remote Adjusting

So the racing mirror was not a part of the WSS package.   

Hope that helps!

It's listed in the package ?

benguin

Alan, since there is the "remote control mirror" listed in the WSS package and the body color racing mirror code there, I wasn't sure if there was a "standard" mirror for the basic Challenger.  And based on what I found, you are absolutely right- with the WSS having a remote mirror, it had to be the racing mirror.

For Barracuda, my Operator's Manual has the remote mirror in the options section, and the 1970 dealer brochure has "racing mirrors" in the options section noting "Available in fiver colors or chromed."   My curiosity got the best of me on this- the parts manual for 1970 B and J series for the left has remote Racing Type in either chrome (pn 3548053) or prime (pn 2999549).  There is also an entry for Mirror Package for racing mirrors for right side painted (pn 3508990) and chrome (pn 3508989).

Then there is the prize- the left side Non-Racing Type, manual mirror- pn 2999553.  That's evidently the true base mirror, which I can't recall ever seeing.  Here's a pic for our original author to compare: