Main Menu

1970 Challenger headlight seats/bucket questions?

Started by 750-h2, August 13, 2017, 10:32:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

I am in need of the 4 headlight buckets for my 1970 Challenger. I am going to Moparfest next weekend and I was hoping to find them there. Problem is I need help identifying them. Factory part # are 2786 882-3 & 2786 884 -5.  After checking Ebay it looks like they are stamped with different numbers. I found two sets that are suppose to be for a 1970 Challenger but both have completely different numbers stamped on them?? Can anyone help me out by checking theirs and tell me what numbers I should be looking for? :help:

Thanks.

Cuda Cody

Pretty common part.  They used that light on a lot of dual headlight cars that year.  Hope these help. @750-h2

750-h2

Thanks Cody, but what I am really looking for is the 3 numbers stamped on the front outer portion of the bucket. I do not know the reason but these #'s are not the last three digits of the part #?

Cuda Cody

I've not noticed those numbers before.  Are they a date code?

RUNCHARGER

I think they might be a 4 digit part code. Sorry I can't help but I remember going through this with my orange Challenger. I had the buckets replated that came with the car but they were wrong. It seems to me if the headlight and ring are off the part code is visible from the front. I'm pretty sure I used the buckets off a 69 Charger on my Challenger and they were correct, I remember matching the #'s but don't recall what they were. Right and left were the same but hi beam is different from lo beam.
Sheldon

750-h2

According to the parts book all 4 buckets are different. I think they are the same from late 60's to earl 70's. I guess they should be easy enough to find but it would be nice to have a positive way to identify them.

71vert340

Interesting the difference in the headlight buckets. I recently pulled a set out of some 1970 fenders. There's a difference in all 4 buckets. I have one more set of unmolested fenders I have stored in my shop attic that still has the headlight bulb buckets in them. Note in my photo all the ones in the top row were pulled from the two 1970 fenders that were painted orange. The outer (low beam) buckets are painted orange and the two inner ( hi) buckets have orange overspray on them The two in the bottom row came from a 70 challenger also. Note the one has a smaller center hole and it was on the passengers fender inner (hi beam). The two on the top row left are from the drivers side fender. Note the difference in width of the bulb notches at 11 o'clock position and the orientation to the 12 o'clock screw tab of the notch between the passengers and drivers side.  I once got these messed up and it changed the orientation of the bulb. The beam of light is a flat beam oriented horizontal. I messed it up and the flat beam was vertical instead of horizontal. It didn't light up the road at all. I can pull the bezels off my 71 and remove the bulbs  and take a pic or try to get one of the other spare 70- early71 fenders I have.
Terry

anlauto

They are marked LH HI. LH HILO, etc....Any four headlight system pots will work if you get one of each. There were changes over the years of the hole size in the back. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

750-h2

Good info here. Thanks everyone for all the help! :)

headejm

Here are the numbers on my set of buckets.  :cheers: