Main Menu

1970 Challenger V1F "green vinyl top" what color was it?

Started by 6bblgt, April 30, 2018, 01:32:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Well SHIT :pullinghair:  The top Legendary sent me is a narrow seam, NOT a wide seam like I needed.

A phone call to Tony at Legendary confirmed that wide seam tops are only available in black or white. NOBODY has coloured material wide enough to make a wide seam 1970 Challenger vinyl roof. :steamingmad:

If anybody has a suggestion on what to do....I'm all ears ! :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Well: I talked to a bodyguy that used to paint the vinyl tops on taxis and they went through carwashes a few times a week.....
Sheldon

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on June 04, 2018, 08:21:00 AM
Well SHIT :pullinghair:  The top Legendary sent me is a narrow seam, NOT a wide seam like I needed.

A phone call to Tony at Legendary confirmed that wide seam tops are only available in black or white. NOBODY has coloured material wide enough to make a wide seam 1970 Challenger vinyl roof. :steamingmad:

If anybody has a suggestion on what to do....I'm all ears ! :dunno:

Better to find out now I guess.

F8RT

The antique green is the one that is dark green with black looking lines in the grain. I got a sample from SMS and Legendary that are very similar but SMS looked most like the original. The wide seam follows the B pillar down. The narrow is the same in front and back and hits the window opening. Legendary had told me they couldn't get the material in that width. I have also been told antique green was only available in 1970 and all 1970's were wide seam so why make it in narrow. I would really like to know if yours is wide seam because Legendary is half the price.

anlauto

Quote from: F8RT on June 04, 2018, 05:01:32 PM
. I have also been told antique green was only available in 1970 and all 1970's were wide seam so why make it in narrow.

I said the same thing to the salesperson at Legendary today and he didn't have an answer for me....I emailed SMS, waiting to see it they get back to me.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

F8RT

Let me know what you find out from SMS I need to order one also. Hope it's not 2 years!

750-h2

When SMS made my top they didn't have the material in that width and actually had to manufacture wide material for me. Hopefully they rolled out enough material to make a few more tops. If they actually have the material already made delivery time may be a lot quicker than 2 years.

6bblgt

maybe a multiple "WIDE SEAM" V1F (GREEN) group buy from SMS is a possibility to speed up delivery  :dunno: I'd be interested

the narrow width material is correct/useable for the '68-'70 B-bodies

6bblgt

Quote from: F8RT on June 04, 2018, 05:01:32 PM
The antique green is the one that is dark green with black looking lines in the grain. I got a sample from SMS and Legendary that are very similar but SMS looked most like the original. The wide seam follows the B pillar down. The narrow is the same in front and back and hits the window opening. Legendary had told me they couldn't get the material in that width. I have also been told antique green was only available in 1970 and all 1970's were wide seam so why make it in narrow. I would really like to know if yours is wide seam because Legendary is half the price.

@F8RT got a pic or two? & it's the C-pillar, hardtops don't have a B-pillar

750-h2

I will post pics of my SMS top. This way you guys will know what you will be getting.

750-h2

Here are a few pics of my V1F SMS boar grain antique green vinyl top. It was hard to get a good picture. I person the colour is a little darker and shinier than what it looks like in the pics. Its sort of an olive green like the F8 carpet.

anlauto

F8RT

I agree it would be the c not b pillar. I saw it referred to that way on another post. Definitely interested in group purchase if it gets it done quicker. I will try and add some pics of mine. Maybe a before I started this long journey of restoring and where I'm at now.

GY3R/T

:bravo:  Never been disappointed with SMS.   :twothumbsup: They also restore 69 C-Body interior vinyl upper steel door panels. Hard top & convertable.  Again, I'd like to see their place.   :yes:

anlauto

UPDATE:

@6bblgt  Dan
Today I was able to order a WIDE SEAM 1970 Challenger vinyl top in "antique green" directly from SMS. First they sent me a sample of the material for my approval which arrived in the mail earlier....I think the colour is bang on to my original sample and a little bit nicer then the Legendary Stuff.  :alan2cents:
The cost of the top made is $495.00 USD
They say 4-6 weeks turn around.

SMS does NOT make the tops in house, they send them out.

I could not have done this without @750-h2 's help. Yvan had his invoice # from five years ago, and with that, SMS was able to view his file and make my new top to the exact same dimensions as his. Thank you Yvan :drinkingbud:

I will follow up on their time frame....I'm hoping it's not two years... :rofl:

@F8RT If you want one, you should call now ! ........same with you Dan..... :drinkingbud: