Main Menu

1970 'cuda brake issues also

Started by 1970 cuda Joe, April 24, 2024, 10:29:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1970 cuda Joe

I was following the other discussion about brake issues. I bought the tool for the booster pin length. Mine is too long not allowing the master cyl to return to it's natural position so I need to adjust the nut. My question is, will that pin from the boodter just pop out? I would like to clean it before I adjust it. Pretty skunky. I have power disc/drum brakes. Thank you, Joe 
1970 cuda 440-6, 4 speed NOM. Moulin Rouge

B5fourspeed

It should just pull out.I received my tool today and I will check the gap tomorrow.

1970 cuda Joe

I had to go a little further into my system than what I had planned to. After inspecting the entire system, I found multiple leaks coming from several fittings & both calipers. It has a purple tint to it which I guess is DOT5. Now I'm pulling the system completly apart, flushing with denatured alcohol, cleaning, rebuilding & replacing DOT5 with DOT4 fluid. When draining the system there was lots of small black particles. The wheel cyls & the master cyl are known offshore items. Calipers are unknown except they are 1971 design. Replacing all the brake hoses. RF hose was weeping through the jacket.

Question: This car has 11x2.5 finned rear drum brakes & stock disc on the front. I can't find anything that says this system was offered on a 1970 cuda. Am I missing something? Thank you, Joe 

1970 cuda Joe

As I'm getting things cleaned, dried & reassembled, I'm not having any luck removing the pin from the power brake booster. It's the flat Bendix type booster. Numbers indicate that it could be the original. The adjustment nut is froze & I really need to remove it & maybe put some heat on it. I don't want to twist off the thread. It does spin. Anybody have a trick to removing it? Thank you, Joe

1970 cuda Joe

I removed the booster & put it in a vise where I could see a retainer holding the outer seal. I removed the retainer & seal & looked inside the booster. I noticed a square retainer which when removed would allow the stem to be removed. I removed the stem & cleaned the threads with my bead blaster. I had to use heat to loosen the threads. As it turns out, it a bolt & not a cap as I originally thought. I made my .020 gap using the tool from a previous post & it's ready to return to the car. I had other things to do while the booster was out so it all worked out.....Joe

1970 cuda Joe

As I'm putting things back together, I thought I would ask about the cast connection piece of this assm. It has a hole on where it attaches to the pedal. Are these castings only used on "E" body cars with disc brakes? If it's used on other cars, how would I know if I have the correct one? It looks like it's stamped "BE" on the side. I had to borrow the picture...Thank you, Joe

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

1970 cuda Joe

Thanks for the link. I wish his pictures were better....Joe

B5fourspeed

When I measured mine the pushrod was about 3/16 to long.The thread lock they used at the factory is strong.I have been spraying carb cleaner to loosen it up.Probably will use heat if spraying it does not work.My brakes where not dragging.My last Cuda when I installed the brake booster I stepped on the pedal and the pushrod shot right out.I had the same 70 booster on my last car but this pushrod does not pull out.I have no clue how 1 came out and another one you have to take the booster apart.Are the pushrods different lengths for power disc and power drum.