Main Menu

1970 Cuda decklid differences???

Started by hemi135, February 26, 2023, 07:29:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

hemi135

I have seen some with cutouts underneath and some without. What was the cutoff point/date/timeframe when they starting to make them all with cutouts. My Cuda was built 12/69 and I'm trying to determine if I have the correct decklid for it's build date and is mine considered an early build or what..?? It does currently have all the cutouts for a wing or rack. :notsure:

This is the deck I have and was told it was incorrect for it's build date, 12/69

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Xghobo

I am pretty sure the 70 is a 1 year deck lid as the 71.72-4 are the same I believe. Here is a pic of a
71 deck lid. The 70 will have the wing cutout higher on both sides.

6bblgt

for a 1970 Barracuda there are 3-decklids:
EARLY to ~November (luggage rack cutouts ONLY)
  MIDDLE to ~February (luggage rack & rear spoiler cutouts)
   LATE (luggage rack, rear spoiler & AAR spoiler cutouts)

December is easily in the MIDDLE category - looks like you have the correct & probably hardest to find decklid   :twothumbsup:

hemi135

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 26, 2023, 12:51:51 PM

December is easily in the MIDDLE category - looks like you have the correct & probably hardest to find decklid   :twothumbsup:

Thank you for responding 66bblgt.. I figured from many years in this hobby that I was right that my deck is correct. I do know this decklid was drilled originally for luggage rack which is going back on soon. I was told by a friend this was an incorrect deck but I'm thinking it's correct as I suspected.

headejm

:iagree: with installing the luggage rack if your car came with one. My car came with one and it's finally going back on this year! Luckily, I found a nice one that doesn't need rechromed and even has a nice weight limit sticker on it. Best of luck!

hemi135

Quote from: headejm on February 26, 2023, 04:57:19 PM
:iagree: with installing the luggage rack if your car came with one. My car came with one and it's finally going back on this year! Luckily, I found a nice one that doesn't need rechromed and even has a nice weight limit sticker on it. Best of luck!

Nice!!   If you get a chance, I would like to see that weight limit sticker you have.  I don't believe I've ever seen one.  I've heard of it but not seen.  If I see it, I could get it made because I don't believe they repop it anywhere... Thank you

headejm

@hemi135 Difficult to photograph due to reflections. If you decide to make one, let me know and I will provide details. I'll take an extra one too!  :cheers:

hemi135

Quote from: headejm on February 27, 2023, 02:55:27 PM
@hemi135 Difficult to photograph due to reflections. If you decide to make one, let me know and I will provide details. I'll take an extra one too!  :cheers:

Great photos thank you but is it possible to zoom out that photo so we can see the exact placement/location of it??

headejm

Now I'm motivated to get this installed!

hemi135

Quote from: headejm on February 27, 2023, 03:49:53 PM
Now I'm motivated to get this installed!

Me too man!!!  Thank you for the pictures, that works.  I'm going to look into having one made and if I do, I'll have several made and I'll reach out for sure.

That photo is just a mock-up, not drilled yet. My decklid was a factory rack deck but obviously removed so it shouldn't be too bad.

MoparCarGuy

Decal location saved as a reference resource.
Oddly enough, I went to save my new graphic in my Luggage Rack sub-folder and found that the decal location is shown on both the engineering drawing and the installation instructions. Go figure.  :yes:

hemi135

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 26, 2023, 12:51:51 PM

Three main 1970 Barracuda/Cuda decklid styles. @hemi135's Version 2 decklid is correct for a 12/69 SPD.
The Version 2 decklid introduction date should coincide with the GoWing spoiler introduction which is believed to be Mid-November 1969. Version 2 may have ended in February 1970 just prior to the Version 3 AAR Ducktail spoiler introduction in March 1970.

youngcuda

I have a 70 Gran Coupe with a luggage rack and would really like to get a rack decal.  Hey hemi135, if you find a way to have these decals made, count me in for one if you can.