Main Menu

1970 Cuda (AAR) Rear Valence Stone Deflector Support Brackets

Started by AAR#2, September 03, 2017, 06:00:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

AAR#2

So years back when I disassembled my AAR rear valence I remember saying to myself "What jackass was fiddling around back here and stuck these cruddy oval head sheetmetal screws and washers in here to attach the rear valence", but I bagged them and stuck them on a shelf for later investigation.

Fast forward a couple years, OK 8, and while I'm able to find very little on the topic I have managed to find a few threads with cryptic writings that mention these.

So what I found on mine was a #8 x 1 1/4" chrome plated sheetmetal screw with a #8 washer (finish undetermined at the moment, but it was black in color after doing a light cleaning, I may have incorrectly assumed black chromate)

When I first looked at the installation I figured it must be a machined thread on the attached rectangular insert thats welded to the stone deflector brackets, and after trying various threads on all 4 locations none could be threaded. Much to my surprise the sheet screw that was originally installed was a perfect match on all 4 locations, and I don't mean a match like someone stuffed a sheetmetal screw into a machine thread.

Then I managed to stumbled upon an old thread on MOPART's where a few folks mention the exact same setup as mine, #8 chrome sheet screw and a loose washer, even posted a picture! The screw was a ringer for mine but the washer pictured was just a bit thicker, but appeared to be about the same dia.

So my question(s) are;
Was this an early 1970 thing only?
Maybe just a parts shortage on the AAR line?
Any idea when this setup was replaced for a more favorable machine head/threaded bolt?
I'm 100% positive the screw is chrome plated and cleaned up very well, any idea what the washer plating was?

I had earlier mentioned mine was black after a light cleaning but in hind sight believe it was black due to the bright zinc coating giving it up with the dissimilar metal, largely because I can't imagine Ma MOPAR chroming screws and placing a black or phosphated washer beneath it.

Any support of finds or comments appreciated.

Cuda Cody

AAR#2

So heres another concern, and not to cast judgement as I could have fallen victim to this myself.

How many folks have pulled these and thought 'this can't be correct', then tapped (or forced) a machine thread through, many times because they looked at another 'restored' car or their buddy claimed it wasn't correct?

I did manage to find this bit of support from the Gibson/Badalson parts listing;

NEW! And never before available, CORRECT 70 e-body upper (rear) valence mounting kit. Authentic small head oval Phillips screws with loose washer. Kit contans 4 screws, 4 washers, 4 U-nuts; this is the mounting hardware for across the top of the valence. (Unsure why the 4 U-nuts, only need two, the other two in this kit would have the welded rectangular nut on the back of the bracket)

and of course you would need these also;

70 E-Body bottom valence screws. 2 original phillips head screws for
bottom of valence at frame support straps
(and here he doesn't mention the loose washers)