Main Menu

1970 E-body a/c water valve

Started by TONY, February 27, 2020, 08:48:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

TONY

I'm looking for old magazine road tests showing underhood photos of a 1970 cuda or  1970 challenger with air conditioning to confirm which type a/c valve was used.

I know the parts books show different #s for the 70 compared to 71 valve

is it  the metal valve or the red + black bakolite valve

Does anyone have or know of a magazine road test that would answer that?

I've heard too many conflicting stories and nobody i spoke to is 100% confident either

Thanks for the help!

EV2RTSE

I don't have any early road test pictures to go off of, but the late Dave Walden's OE gold challenger has the bakelite valve -  :dunno:

TONY

thanks, i do have that pic.

nos of those are still around, and i believe that is the 71-74 type, but not 100% sure

thats why im looking for some old school road tests, theres got to be a road test of an 1970 a/c e-body

EV2RTSE

So I'm following along with this because I have a few of the NOS red & black ones, but also a used metal one that I coincidentally took off of a 70 go-mango 318 car back in the early 90s. I'd always heard that the bakelite style was used early, but was found to be prone to leaking and was finally superceded to or replaced by the metal style later on. So I thought that the metal one was what you would have ended up with had you gone to a dealer to order one in later years.

From looking at some part #s, I think it goes as follows:

70 - 3441034
71 - 3441884
72-74 3502346
after 7/73 - 3502723

with the first 3 #s all being variations of the same red/black unit, and the last one being the metal one?

https://www.ebay.com/p/1722984198

https://www.hiltopautoparts.com/product/nors-mopar-ac-heater-control-valve-1970-3-e-body-1972-3-b-c-body/

TONY

hi

thank you, i believe the red/black one is correct

thank you all for your help and input!

Cratos

I found one of the black and reds last year .I'll have to see if I can find the link from where I got it.