Main Menu

1970 EARLY BUILT PILOT E-BODIES

Started by 71REDCUDA, July 22, 2017, 03:27:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71REDCUDA

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 23, 2017, 07:32:41 AM
pre-production "PILOT" cars were numbered with their "BUILD" or "JOB" number to account for them prior to being assigned a VIN

I would estimate the JOB NUMBERS 5 thru 12 accounted for above were built around April/May of 1969 - these tags have many differences in use & coding that differ from production

the above accounted for JOB 159 thru 166 were built around June/July of 1969 and are often found in early advertisements/road tests/etc. - fender tags are looking closer to production pieces.

the "PILOT" JOB NUMBER system covers the entire Chrysler - Plymouth - Dodge product line consecutively 1 thru 166+

the above listed VINs above 0B100028 are PRODUCTION not "PILOT" builds

Intresting, so even if a car have a JOB-nr it does not need to be a "pilot car"?

6bblgt

Quote from: 71REDCUDA on July 23, 2017, 11:55:15 AM
pre-production "PILOT" cars were numbered with their "BUILD" or "JOB" number to account for them prior to being assigned a VIN

I would estimate the JOB NUMBERS 5 thru 12 accounted for above were built around April/May of 1969 - these tags have many differences in use & coding that differ from production

the above accounted for JOB 159 thru 166 were built around June/July of 1969 and are often found in early advertisements/road tests/etc. - fender tags are looking closer to production pieces.

the "PILOT" JOB NUMBER system covers the entire Chrysler - Plymouth - Dodge product line consecutively 1 thru 166+

Intresting, so even if a car have a JOB-nr it does not need to be a "pilot car"?

no, a "JOB NUMBER" on a fender tag is going to indicate a pre-production "PILOT" car

JS27V0B100021 (not 0B100121) is JOB 166 & is a pre-production "PILOT" car or is there another car in question?

71REDCUDA

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 23, 2017, 11:58:33 AM
Quote from: 71REDCUDA on July 23, 2017, 11:55:15 AM

no, a "JOB NUMBER" on a fender tag is going to indicate a pre-production "PILOT" car

JS27V0B100021 (not 0B100121) is JOB 166 & is a pre-production "PILOT" car or is there another car in question?

Ok, i was just thinking in general.. Then i got my info wrong about that challenger 440 sixpack conv.. Is 100028 the highest known JOB car?

Also, im a little qurious about the EK2 JS23V0B car with orange shaker. Is this car known today or missing?

70/6chall

Man, this is great info, I really love it! The more I read the more I learn. I'm also recording all of the info here, it's really of great interest to me. Since my '70 Challenger is such an early build out of LA, Monday, 8/18/69 #113, and is a regular production build I really like to know where it fits into the line up. Thanks guys,   Al

71REDCUDA

71REDCUDA

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 22, 2017, 09:28:58 AM
is this 0B100011 or another missing number?  or is it a 1969 "photoshopped" version of 0B100010?  :thinking:

The yellow one has the 3 speaker dash.. not sure what the BS23R0B100010 has?

6bblgt

here's the "shrinking violet" ad - the surroundings could very well be the Chelsea Proving Grounds (or anywhere in the Midwest)

383 Challenger R/T - FC7 H6XW V6W A63 G31 G33 J45 M85 - stereo dash, wire wheel covers & RWL F70-14s ('69 MI plates)

71REDCUDA

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 22, 2017, 09:28:58 AM
is this 0B100011 or another missing number?  or is it a 1969 "photoshopped" version of 0B100010?  :thinking:

This yellow car has rear defroster & dual front speakers.. not sure R0B100010 has that.

RzeroB

The caption in the above picture says Ronnie and Buddy are posing with the Car Craft Project HemiCuda. Car Craft's project car was an early build car with the VIN BS23R0B111678. It was a Lemon-Twist car with a black interior and an Elastomeric front bumper ... but all the pictures that I have seen of it are with a Six-Pack hood and NO vinyl roof?? I can see Car Craft switching to a Six-Pack  hood for racing ... but would they have peeled off the vinyl roof too??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RzeroB

Here's one that always intrigued me ... it's not a '70, but a '71. My understanding is that the following two tags belong to the same car, which later was assigned the VIN BS23R1B100378.

The first tag shows the "VIN" listed as "BS23 CAR 000002". Note the VON listed simply as "CORP" which I assume is short for "Corporate"??

The second tag shows the "VIN" changed to "BS23 CAR 000143". Note that the VON changed too to "M02108"?

And here is the VIN tag now attached to the dashpad which shows it's current VIN of BS23R1B100378

The interesting story that I have heard about this car is that it was a "pilot", or some kind of test vehicle where it was built and retained by corporate. These cars were usually scrapped or auctioned off at the end of the model year. The story goes that a customer went to his Plymouth dealer very late in the '71 model year to order a HemiCuda. He was told that he was "too late" and that corporate was not taking any more orders for HemiCudas. I don't know if it was the customer who persisted, or if it was the dealership, but calls were made to corporate and it was found that this HemiCuda was still on the corporate books as a company owned "pilot" or test vehicle. More calls, wheeling and dealing were made and the car was released from corporate ownership and shipped to the dealer and the very happy customer. I don't know if there is any truth to this story ... or if it's just an urban legend ... but it makes for a good story!!

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

I think the first fender tag pic is the same tag, just photoshopped  :takealook:

RzeroB

So if I'm reading your comments correctly Dan ... you're saying the "CAR 00143" may be the correct tag for this car ... and that the "CAR 000002" tag may be a Photo-Shop'd impostor?? I don't get it ... what would be the point of making the tag look like "CAR 000002"??
Cheers!
Tom

6bblgt

yes, look at the "N96" & "Y93" on both tags  :alan2cents: same tag, one pic was altered

6bblgt

:dunno: maybe it was an attempt to hide or obscure its full identity when the car was freshly restored

6bblgt

a picture of the car from ~'72
& more recently at one of the MATS shows ~10  :huh: years ago