Main Menu

March built 71 Cuda built with 70 trunk floor.

Started by tx9cuda, September 17, 2021, 12:36:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tx9cuda

After getting my car back from being stripped, I recently realized that my 71 Cuda was originally built with a 70 trunk floor with the shock access holes on top. Is this unusual for a March built Car? SPD is 305. It was my understanding that 71's had the holes facing forward. What's the story from the more experienced Cuda folks?
Thanks
Bryan
BS23H1B

anlauto

This one has holes to top as well :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YYZ

First off, what a great combo you have! 340, shaker, purple/white/white billboards, road lamps etc

It's entirely possible, even likely that it's the original trunk floor to the car. 

Theoretically, Hamtramck should have been rotating stock such that the oldest parts got used up first.

But if an old skid of trunk floors got waylaid, and then brought back to the line, they would use the parts as long as they fit.

Plant managers had a lot of discretion and authority to make substitutions in order to keep the line going.

cudaize

My 331 SPD 71 340 Cuda convertible has the 70 style trunk floor as well as my 71 Gran coupe December 21, 1970 SPD.  My 383 71 383 Cuda convertible with a 622 SPD has the 71 and up style in from the back.

Mike Afflerbach

6bblgt

I've seen a bunch of spring '71 e-bodies with the "'70" trunk floor (might have been when all the left-over E-body parts from LA made into '71 production ?????)  :dunno:

tx9cuda

Thanks for the replies. Appears to be not that uncommon to see this.
BS23H1B