Main Menu

1973 Dodge Challenger Opinions

Started by Inmemoryof..., February 28, 2019, 06:45:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

340 is a great engine , I too would build to 400 + CI find some 308 heads , modern cam , EFI & a 518 trans & it will be a lot of fun
The modern Hemi is a killer also , 26 MPG capable use the 518 trans & the engine will have a warranty
Both are good options  :bigthumb:

HP2

Quote from: ragtopdodge on March 01, 2019, 01:45:01 PM
340 all the way.

Nothing special about the modern, 1 million hemi engines out there anyways.

Find a 518 OD transmission, EFI, 3.91 gears and sure-grip, and you'll have a lot of fun.

Well, the new Hemis do make big block power at small block weights.  Nothing bad about that scenario,  but they aren't cheap or easy to set up.

ledphoot

I'd keep all the numbers matching stuff in that car.. Put it back close to original. I'd probably build the 340 in to a 416 stroker which would give you the horsepower and torque with a reasonably mild motor, upgrade the brakes and put a Holley Sniper EFI on it as well. I like drivable / reliable vehicles.

I went down the restomod path with my Cuda and I am having some regrets considering how rare the car is.. Yours is quite rare car as well.

72 Challenger

I'm all for original looking cars.

340, EFI, Modern disc brakes and suspension.
Someday I will have a J0b.

71383bee

Quote from: 72 Challenger on March 08, 2019, 06:17:16 AM
I'm all for original looking cars.

340, EFI, Modern disc brakes and suspension.

My vote is to keep it close to original.  EFI can always be added later.  If its all there then it should not be too difficult to get it running as she was originally intended for and its GREAT and more RARE to see a 73 rallye in its original color and setup.  I've seen way too many turned into something they never were with big blocks and 70/71 paint. 

If it wasn't a 340 rallye car i would agree more with the put a hemi in her crowd. 

Is the color Tahitian Gold? 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

303 Mopar

Since it is numbers matching 340, I would say restore it to original.  I dropped a 392 Hemi in mine and love it, but it was originally a 318 car.

7212Mopar

The engine did sat for 38 years and so far no info on the condition of the block. So that is a big unknown for now. If it cannot be rebuilt then owner will be facing different options.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

70 Challenger Lover

There's no doubt the original 340 needs a complete overhaul but it's almost always worth the expense to keep it since it's an original hp car. Unless there are holes in the block, I'd save it even if you had to put new sleeves in the cylinders. Do it right and it will probably be good for decades. The expense in saving the original 340 will be tiny compared to upgrading to a hemi