Main Menu

2021 state of play - 1970 Challenger values

Started by Bad Bird, October 17, 2021, 03:00:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bad Bird

Hi All,

Thanks again for the warm welcome to the forum!  :cheers: Cutting straight to the chase, I have been wanting to purchase a 1970 Challenger R/T hardtop with a 4-speed for about 20 years, and only now does that feel achievable. I have owned/restored other cars before (Aussie Fords, Holdens, and Brand-X), but this would be my first Mopar.

Thanks to COVID, I no longer have any idea where prices are sitting these days. The Hemmings price guides just seem a little optimistic to me; I think that the real prices are definitely higher than Hemmings report. Could anyone here help give an approximate price range for a '70 R/T 383 4-speed with and without original motor? I don't really care about numbers matching, and I am fine with any color.  I do know that color and options make a big difference, but I'm wanting to see if approximately $50,000 could even get you close for a NOM, driver-quality car.

Thanks again!
-Matt B.

ledphoot

I was looking at e-body's as comps for insurance purposes and I would agree that prices have gone up just like everything else. I'd say you're looking at more around $60K for a nice example right now. The closest thing I found to what you're looking for on eBay is a ragtop, which may be nice, but the price is reflected in that :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304186857793?hash=item46d2f31941:g:FY4AAOSwdDRhSyMd

Skdmark

$50k USD for a 70 383 4spd Challenger R/T should be doable for a turn key driver.
Asking prices will probably range from 40k to 60k depending on condition, color, originality and options.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Bad Bird

Quote$50k USD for a 70 383 4spd Challenger R/T should be doable for a turn key driver.
Asking prices will probably range from 40k to 60k depending on condition, color, originality and options.

At least I'm not completely barking up the wrong bush then! I could probably stretch as far as 52-53k USD, but after that the brutal reality of a bad exchange rate (~0.7 USD per AUD), freight, GST, import fees, luxury car tax) mean that prices just get completely out of hand.

QuoteI was looking at e-body's as comps for insurance purposes and I would agree that prices have gone up just like everything else. I'd say you're looking at more around $60K for a nice example right now.

It's amazing the price range I've noticed these cars can have. It seems like options mean everything...

Potentially I'll have to settle for a non-R/T, but it would then definitely have to be in great shape and be a 4-speed!

ledphoot

I know many will take offense to this.. but it's just my opinion. I wouldn't own an e-body with an automatic.

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Bad Bird

Agreed. Automatics are great, and for my overlanding truck (2012 Toyota Prado turbodiesel) I wouldn't want anything else. However, when I make that 20 year Challenger dream come true I want to be rowing a pistol-grip 4-speed!

ledphoot

Quote from: blown motor on October 17, 2021, 04:42:00 PM
I prefer an automatic. To each their own.

The beauty of free will, liberty and available options :)

My truck and daily driver are automatics. I learned to drive in this Cuda with the pistol grip four speed so it just seems like that's how they should be to me.

To the OP I hope you find your dream Challenger and get it down to Oz. That's be an incredible achievement and a dream come true. If I see anything out there I will post it up.

70vert

Bad Bird

QuoteTo the OP I hope you find your dream Challenger and get it down to Oz. That's be an incredible achievement and a dream come true. If I see anything out there I will post it up.

Very much appreciated.  :cheers: Hopefully things fall into place in the next year or so!

R/T's 4 R/P

There is always a difference between what somebody is asking... And what it really sells for.
It seems that many of these cars at the prices that are being asked sit for a long time.
Few people are willing to divulge what they really sell the car for.
If you see certain cars that sell right away, those are probably more realistic pricing.
I would say it's better to get your eyes on the vehicle. Or have somebody look at it and be ready to jump on a deal when you find it.

Flippers are going to flip. So watch for guys who just have owned a car for a short time and I have no history.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Mopsquad

Quote from: 70vert on October 17, 2021, 06:26:43 PM
Premium priced, and 340:
https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/STL/8705/1970-Dodge-Challenger-340

Gateway is good indicator of market values. You just have to use the special equation.   Market Value =  Gateway x .781456  ;)

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Bad Bird

QuoteFlippers are going to flip. So watch for guys who just have owned a car for a short time and I have no history.

You couldn't be more correct! I have now missed out on two cars (including a U-code 4-speed) that I offered the seller more than their asking price, to then see the new buyer have the car for sale on Facebook not 4 weeks later about $20k over the original price. People are entitled to do as they like with their things, but it sure is disheartening.