Main Menu

340 T/a motor

Started by pink aar, July 25, 2017, 07:39:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

Cody, did you remove the 340 T/A motor complete ad?? I think it was good deal. After I had to put one together for my car. PIECE BY PIECE

Cuda Cody

I did not remove it.  I too thought it was a great deal.  When you can get the complete engine with all the hard to find pieces it makes for a much better deal then buying it piece by piece.

FlatlandTA

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 25, 2017, 07:53:34 AM
I did not remove it.  I too thought it was a great deal.  When you can get the complete engine with all the hard to find pieces it makes for a much better deal then buying it piece by piece.
I can personally confirm this theory lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink aar

The only problem I see is the cost of shipment to the US and not being able to put your eyes and hands on it.

FlatlandTA

Quote from: pink aar on July 25, 2017, 08:14:30 AM
The only problem I see is the cost of shipment to the US and not being able to put your eyes and hands on it.
Unfortunately it's for reasons like that I don't see it going anywhere until someone close who can pick it up grabs it. It's not the first time it's been listed I show it forsale before. In fact I might've shared it before,still a decent buy for someone needing that complete parts lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blown motor

I can pick up this engine and store it for as long as needed if someone wants to buy it.

I can even store it in my Challenger.  :yes:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

AAR#2

I missed the opportunity to see the ad but it appeared to be missing things in the thumb nail photo.
Even so, if you guys believe 10k for a block that needs complete rebuild is a deal, what's the value of a completely rebuilt, running, detailed one worth??, date coded carbs, alternator, etc, etc??

While complete blasphemy, when time to sell I may have to consider parting out my AAR.

I find it strange that the community finds this or a $40k dollar AAR project a good deal but also think a completed car is worth 60-80k. (Unless it's a black 4-speed, numbers matching) I'd also like to point out that I have rarely seen a really well built AAR under 85k and often higher.

Sorry, failing to see the logic!?

Cuda Cody

I'm with you....  Well built AAR's / TA's can (and will) bring over $85k pretty easy.  It's the cars that fall in the gray area between project and really nicely done that will not be able to get over the $85k IMO.  :alan2cents:

The engine was a asking price of $10k Canadian or about $8k US which seems pretty fair if you need a T/A block with everything. 

RUNCHARGER

No: That's the reality of the car hobby. I've seen wheeler dealers disassemble perfectly good musclecars and part them for over 30 years now. If you say you love cars but love money more that is what you do. That is how some of these guys end up with warehouses full of desirable parts but no complete cars (I know of several of these people on the west coast and some of them are dying off now leaving the parts behind).
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Parting cars out will almost always get you more money then selling them whole.  It's true for projects or done cars in almost all model line of cars, not just E-Bodies....  they are almost always worth more as parts then compared to complete.  That's what wrecking yards do everyday.  They buy a car and part it out.  Sometimes I wish I could do that, but I would feel like I have to save all the cars so none would get parted out lol  :Thud:  I would suck at being a wrecking yard owner.

It's your car so the wonderful thing is you get to do anything you want with it.   :yes:  For me personally, I get a lot of satisfaction putting them together and seeing them back on the road.  If I see an E-Body driving down the road I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.  I want to see it, know everything about and I can't take my eyes off it.

Since it's a hobby for me I do not expect to get my money back or make a profit.  I think about it like camping, fishing, hiking or any other hobby.  Restoring a car is an enjoyable hobby and there is a cost associated with that enjoyment.  I pay the fee and get the enjoyment.   :D   But unlike most other hobbies, when a person is done restoring a car it can be worth a good bit of money.   

RUNCHARGER

I agree totally Cody: There is something very gratifying about taking a pile of parts and making them whole again. The other thing is that not everyone is capable of doing it so it's more fulfilling than going to the store to buy a new one.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Agreed... If I could find it in me to part a car out I could really thin out my project collection.....  Project cars aren't worth much but boy some of the parts I've gathered for them through the years sure are..... But that's not how real car enthusiasts treat their cars....

AAR#2

Look, I agree with you guys that there's an amount of satisfaction doing your own work. All I was pointing out is I find it crazy to see everyone jump to say what a deal a single item is but are quick to denounce a completed car cost, seems a bit ironic to me

10+ years on mine and still working