Main Menu

70-71 Assembly Manual

Started by CudaHead, April 17, 2020, 10:32:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaHead

anlauto

Hey that's interesting, I've never seen that before. When you get it, be sure to give us a peek inside, I wonder how it's presented  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaHead

I just ordered it today.
I will give feedback when I get it.

JS29

71vert340

I see where there is a manual for the Challenger also. Anyone bought one?

www.faxonautoliterature.com/1970-1971-Dodge-Challenger-Electrical-and-Body-Assembly-Manual-Reprint-P34871.aspx

cataclysm80

WOW, THEY'VE FINALLY ARRIVED!

I've been waiting about 12 years for those, and I thought those books would never see the light of day.

Years ago, the Hamtramck Historical website had engineering diagrams posted on their website for everyone to reference.

Dave Walden from ECS was talking with people at Chrysler, and found that they still had the original diagrams, supposedly including ones that hadn't escaped into our hobbyist hands yet.
He encouraged them to publish the diagrams for all of us to use.

Chrysler made a deal with Faxon to publish them, not just for E bodies, but for lots of Mopars.
They started in the mid 1960's, and were working their way towards newer cars like the E bodies.
Chrysler sent Hamtramck Historical a cease and desist letter, and made Barry take the diagrams off his website.  Obviously, they wanted people to buy the book.

The the 2008ish financial crisis happened, and Chrysler was bought by Fiat before the project was completed.
They had more important things to worry about after that.

We waited a few years for the books, hoping they would show up, but they never did.

Our resources section here has much nicer scans of the diagrams than the Hamtramck Historical website had.

The versions inside those books should be even better quality though, so hopefully we'll be able to read the fine print, and if we're really lucky, we'll find something new that we haven't seen before.

gaddied

SWEET!! :banana:
Hopefully it will be a good manual if it is I will order one.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

CudaHead

OK, It was delivered just now.
It is indeed the Assembly Manual.  I have never seen these details before. This is what you want.
Now for things I did not like:
One, the print is small but readable.
Two, every page has the "Faxon Auto Literature" in the background, all over every page.
Three, there are no Electrical diagrams. They do have lots of pages that show where the wiring goes, including the dash harness.

They do have a wiring diagram book:
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Wiring Diagram Manual Reprint
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1970-Plymouth-Barracuda-Wiring-Diagram-Manual-Reprint-P12755.aspx
The nice thing about that is they have just the Barracuda Pages, not all the other models.
It's only $9. I'm going to order it also.

Bottom line, this is the missing manual we have been looking for.

anlauto

So it's different information then would be in the 1970 service manual ? Interesting :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

CudaHead

Very different. I've seen assembly manuals for other cars before and they are very much like this one. It shows how everything is put together.
This is very much new information.

anlauto

Any chance you can give us an example ? maybe snap a couple of pictures of the pages....the curiosity is killing me :pullinghair:

CudaHead

These are the Engineering Illustrations from 1969.

anlauto

WOW....okay, I'm impressed....some of the photos are similar to the service manual, but they appear to be all original TSB which is cool... :worship:

I've assembled over 35 E Bodies, don't really need instructions....but I think this would be a cool addition to my library. :bigthumb:

Thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to post pictures  :drinkingbud:

cataclysm80

I received mine today also.
I haven't opened the box yet, but I'm sure looking forward to it!