Main Menu

71 challenger

Started by fireguyfire, March 31, 2020, 08:04:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

@fireguyfire Look under the seat's and sill molding's, were the sun don't shine.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Under the seat tracks or someplace that has never seen sun will tell the story... :rubeyes: :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

the broadcast sheet won't show anything specific, but green interiors had green carpet - it's faded

FYI - for the 1971 Challenger (JH23), the bench seat was available in ONLY two colors: BLACK (H4X9) & GREEN (H4F7) - also it was NOT available in a R/T (JS23)

6bblgt

1971 Challenger (JH23) there were 18 colors + the late introduction FY1 = 19 total colors offered

for CHRYSLER CANADA LTD.: GY8 - "gold leaf metallic" was #12 of 19 in popularity on Challenger  :canada:

71383bee

That all makes it more appealing to keep her the way she was!  It being a non R/T 340 gold car was plenty on its own!  The bench seat column shift is not quite as sexy as the buckets were but practically never seeing it at the shows is plenty of motivation to keep it.

Pretty cool car there! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

anlauto

Quote from: 71383bee on April 11, 2020, 06:50:34 AM
  The bench seat column shift is not quite as sexy as the buckets were but practically never seeing it at the shows is plenty of motivation to keep it.

That's exactly how I feel about my bench seat AAR Cuda project.....absolutely the worst set-up to have, nobody wants one, but how many nice restored examples of bench seat AAR's do you recall seeing at the car shows ? Certainly something unique and different.

I hope you restore this Challenger with the bench seat :fingerscrossed:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

fireguyfire

You bet; this baby will go back to how she looked the day she rolled out of the factory.
My 19 year old son found the car; he's an E body fanatic! We will do it as a long term father/son project and eventually it will wind up with him.
We love the uniqueness for sure, and he could care less that it's a bench column car; in fact he appreciates that it is a very unique beast probably more than I did when he found it.

fireguyfire

I guess the search begins for a 340 engine, and a front grille for it.
Even though it's a bit rough, everything else is there.

mccannix

I mentioned earlier in the thread, you may have missed it,
that I have a nice 71 grill here in Ontario if you want to contact me.

fireguyfire

anlauto

Great looking grill Terry :drooling: I think my current customer has an extra one stashed away as well. Would likely cost a fortune to ship out West. :crying:

I think this will be a great looking car once restored and it's nice to hear your young son is on board with the "stock" restoration idea  :bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

You can deckscrew a wooden crate together pretty fast. I think it was around $100 to mail one across country to DODJ. A 70 grille is easier though if an end does get bent you can just bend it back.
Sheldon

anlauto

Hopefully the two parties can work out a deal, those grills are getting harder to find.

I mailed a dash pad core from Ontario to Roseville Michigan (3 hours away) and it cost $161.00 CDN  :dunno:

fireguyfire

Was looking at the build sheet for this car, and the wheel code is 24.
I'm not familiar with that code; can one of you gurus educate me on what a 24 wheel code wheel was in 71?

fireguyfire

Correction; the wheel code is W21; I guess it was an original rallye rim car