Main Menu

73 challenger

Started by fireguyfire, March 05, 2019, 09:36:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Finally pulled the trigger on my first e body so I will be looking for lots of advice as I work on it here on the forum; I have previously only had b bodies.
The car is extremely well optioned for its day;
Originally a 340 car (now has an earlier 383 in it)
4 speed pistol grip
Brite red exterior, white/black interior
White vinyl top
Rallye package
Console w/ wood grain panel
Bucket seats
Dual racing mirrors
Sport hood
Trunk lamp
Hood/fender turn signals
Simulated louvres
Roof drip rail mouldings
Dual exhaust
Chrome exhaust tips
Tach
Black longitudinal stripes
White full vinyl top.

The car had some crappy minor rust repairs done years ago, the vinyl top was removed and the car was respected a darker red; the paint isn't nearly as good as the photos, has runs and dust in it.
The front and rear panels were also blacked out.
The interior is excellent and mostly origina; the front seats have been recovered and it has new carpet, everything else is original.
The head liner will need replacing as it is thread bare and the A pillar mouldings are pretty chaulky where they meet the dash; the dash pad has a couple of cracks also.

It's a decent driver that I plan on eventually putting back to original, in the original colour with white vinyl top.
I also might find a period correct 340 to put back into it eventually.
I will also have to put the tail panel back in argent, etc, and the first thing is I've already sourced a set of 14" Rallye rims, rings and Centers that will get brand new white letter tires.
Anyway, thought I'd paint a picture of my first E body and new toy; I will be asking tons of questions and am always open to opinions on the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blown motor

Looks like a good start to a fun car. Welcome to the forum from Ontario.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Rich G.

Looks like a fun car. Enjoy it!

fireguyfire

So I'm assuming the tail panel should be argent colour, and the headlight panel body colour, correct?
I think a Rallye package should have a black grille?

318Stroker

As the owner of a 73 Challenger that I bought in 73, Here's what I can tell you for sure. Yes, the fiberglass header panel is always body color, and the rallye package got the black grill, argent in the non-rallye cars. As for the tail panel, I think there's some debate as to black with argent taillight coves, or argent with black taillight coves. Personally, I like the black with argent coves better, so that's how I painted mine.

benlavigne

Congrats and welcome from Montreal!

Ben

fireguyfire

I was under the impression that all 73 and 74 challengers had the argent rear panel with black light surrounds.

Burdar

The 72 Rallye had the black tail panel.  73 and 74 had argent.

Chryco Psycho

:panama: Welcome from Panama
Congrats on buying the Chall  :twothumbsup:

anlauto

Welcome from Georgetown ON...you've found the best E Body web site in the world....

Your car would look great put back to original. :alan2cents: :drooling:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

Yeah, that's what she would look like when restored!

fireguyfire

My car has a newish stereo in it. What would the original stereo have looked like, and do the make a modern version that looks stock like they do for the B bodies?

anlauto

If you have a fender tag, the radio code will be on there for what the car originally came with. There is an aftermarket modern AM/FM available for it...like the B Bodies...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

[emoji106]

JS29

Yes they do make radio's for our cars! :welcome: from central New York!  :wave:  Classic Industries carry them.  :alan2cents: