Main Menu

AAR/TA Detail Question

Started by Floyd, February 09, 2020, 08:32:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

I have a detail question about trans am cars.  Any examples of original AAR/TAs with the the tip hanger bracket installed in the trunk floor?  I believe common wisdom is that they used a blob of seam sealer to plug the stamped holes instead of installing the bracket.  There's a recent post about a B5 AAR cuda for sale on eBay and the pics show the bracket in-place in the trunk floor.  My car has the original trunk floor and it looks like the bracket may have been there at one point (but there's no way to be sure at this point). 

thanks

anlauto

I was curious about that plate too... I can see it being an oversight on the assembly line where a working just installed it because he didn't know or care  :dunno:

The two AARs I have here, one still in the hands of the original owner had have no signs of the plates ever being there, but the one original paint car actually had screws in the holes  :looney: 50 years later we can't be 100% sure where the screws came from :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

This is an original 1 owner AAR.  Yes, that is factory dum dum around the light.

6Pack70

I believe the factory trunk pan in 1970 had the holes already punched on the right side only.... for single exhaust cars.  The dimples are there on the left side of the pan but the holes aren't punched.  If the car was coded for duel exhaust,  they drilled the holes for the left bracket.  Trans Am cars just got sealer in the factory punched holes where the bracket for single exhaust would go.   However, as time passes,  some people ditched the T/A exhaust stysem for a more conventional set of pipes out the back..... which those holes could be used for new hanger brackets. 

6Pack70

I borrowed this from Transamcuda.com

Cuda Cody

The 176 mile T/A that Barry documented.

Floyd

Great pics.  Thanks!  Applying a couple sloppy blobs of sealer like those  is within my skill-level..

6Pack70

6bblgt

:thinking:
it is also a possibility that the 311 SPD (first day AARs were scheduled) EB5 AAR 'cuda had the plate installed before the line workers got the routine of these special 'cudas with NO muffler hangers in the trunk

anyone with a very early T/A or AAR to check?  :takealook:

SeventyTX9RTRag

I will check my EB5 Blue AAR 311 car and report back. Not here right now.

cuda hunter

Quote from: SeventyTX9RTRag on February 09, 2020, 06:32:47 PM
. :popcorn:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Floyd

Found this pic from a survivor T/A (SPD 4/14).  Whoa!  Not sure I can go that sloppy...

Blake@diyhemi.com

I'll check my 3 11 car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

SeventyTX9RTRag

The left side of my car has the dimples, and the right side has two slotted screws where the dimples should be. Car is still not at my house so can't say for sure if there is a bracket on the right side. I will check tomorrow.

6Pack70

Quote from: SeventyTX9RTRag on February 16, 2020, 06:15:36 PM

The left side of my car has the dimples, and the right side has two slotted screws where the dimples should be. Car is still not at my house so can't say for sure if there is a bracket on the right side. I will check tomorrow.

Looks to me like there's been some previous work done in your trunk area. Screws were probably added later.