Main Menu

A/C heater box questions.

Started by 70RTSE383, May 25, 2022, 02:18:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

i have my A/C heater box out of my '70 Challenger and have completely dissembled it. I cleaned up all the metal parts, scrubbed the case painted a couple parts etc. the vacuum modules all appear to work and hold vacuum. I am ordering a gasket kit for it and all the vacuum tubes look almost new being soft and pliable. My question is should I replace the heater core and A/C evaporator?. The heater core looks pretty good to the extent that I can see inside of it. It has no sign or external leaks. The evaporator looks "fine" and has been inside the car since new. All the original A/C hoses and parts were connected.
I will be changing the compressor over to a Sanden and use 134 refrigerant. I really don't want to take this box out of the car after I complete the car. I am somewhat skeptical of replacement parts being Chinese and possibly having a greater chance of leaking than the originals. What do you think I should do?
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

anlauto

Take both of them to a rad shop (if you can find one) and have them pressure tested....or do it yourself somehow....but there's still no guarantee that the 52 year old part won't pick next year to fail  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

I had the same worry.  For peace of mind, send yours to Glen-Ray Radiators and have them check and repair as needed.   Lots of folks here have used them and, best I know, they're all happy with the results. 

http://www.restorationradiators.com/

Skdmark

Quote from: Dakota on May 25, 2022, 03:01:08 PM
I had the same worry.  For peace of mind, send yours to Glen-Ray Radiators and have them check and repair as needed.   Lots of folks here have used them and, best I know, they're all happy with the results. 

http://www.restorationradiators.com/

:iagree:

I had Bob at Glen-ray do mine. Couldn't be happier. Nothing fits like the originals.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70RTSE383

Thanks for the replies! I spoke to Bob and he was very helpful. I am sending in both the Evaporator and heater core for cleaning and inspection. Price for this is very fair. Am also considering one of his radiators although they are pricey.

John
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Aloha Randy

FYI, just a month ago, the heater core were totally unavailable everywhere. We repaired ours at home and it only had a small leak. Not sure if the supply chain has changed but you are better off fixing what you have if you can.

70RTSE383

Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

JS29

We use to re-core heater cores, I am sure Bob has the fin tube stock!  :alan2cents: