Main Menu

A/C part differences big-block VS. small-block ID reference H51

Started by 6bblgt, March 01, 2020, 10:15:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 03, 2020, 09:15:24 PM
I think lines #2 & #3 are correct Big-Block e-body "DISCHARGE" lines
@headejm my picture is up-side-down compared to yours - does the hard-line in red look the same?  :takealook:

It could be an optical illusion but hose #3 looks longer than hose #2 & if thats the case then hose #3 is a small block hose....  Like I posted earlier the metal line portions are the same, the rubber hose is longer on a small block..... You can use a small block hose on a big block but the hose will loop further rearward....

anlauto

I agree with Mr. Wild on this one, I think #2 is the only correct big block hose in that picture :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

@6bblgt Difficult to measure the line but used a string to measure each of the "components" length. A part number was not evident anywhere on the line.

End of muffler to the back of the mounting flange - 7"
End of muffler to start of hose flange - 5"
Hose length including both crimped hose ends - 20"
Metal tube - 20"

The lines in your photo look very similar to my line except for the 5" segment. Your line looks longer than 5" to me.

198D13

Quote from: headejm on March 04, 2020, 08:51:53 AM
@6bblgt Difficult to measure the line but used a string to measure each of the "components" length. A part number was not evident anywhere on the line.

End of muffler to the back of the mounting flange - 7"
End of muffler to start of hose flange - 5"
Hose length including both crimped hose ends - 20"
Metal tube - 20"

The lines in your photo look very similar to my line except for the 5" segment. Your line looks longer than 5" to me.

If they are original parts there WILL be a part number AND a four digit date code on the crimped ends of these A/C parts. They will match to the ones listed in the parts book. Since this seems to be a huge issue, I will take pictures of mine tonight and post tomorrow. That should help to positively ID which of the various parts pictured, really are.

198D13

3441 192 The crimped end is part numbered and dated. The hose is also dated. More pictures to follow.

198D13

198D13

Last one for this hose. All original hoses are part numbered and date coded. Instead of simply speculating as to what might be original or correct, take a close look at your part and then find it in your parts book.
This gasket covers part of this original hose. There are two in the Zip Lock.

6bblgt

AFAIK there are NO part #s for the hoses/lines in the parts catalog, it states - "order by description"

lines #*, 2, 3 are all stamped
with the same part number 3502382
with dates: 153 2 (Friday 6/2/72), 53 3 (Thursday 2/22/73), 110 3 (Friday 4/20/73)
with the same vendor number 95165

6bblgt

Quote from: 198D13 on March 05, 2020, 06:57:48 AM
3441 192 The crimped end is part numbered and dated. The hose is also dated. More pictures to follow.

@198D13 what is this line from?

Shoooter

This is great but does someone have a complete list of what is required for a complete set up? Looking at all this could get confusing.