Main Menu

833 trans, big block to small block

Started by b5cuda, June 27, 2020, 06:25:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hi all, I have an 833 trans (1971 date) with the 4.8" input bearing retainer which I believe is typically used with big block bell housing.  Just wondering whether I can rebuild this trans with the smaller bearing and retainer so it fits my small block bell - or would I need to resize the small block bell housing to fit this larger bearing and retainer?

anlauto

If you're referring to a 23 spline transmission, your big block and small block use the same size bearing retainer and can interchange with no problem.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

b5cuda

Thanks Alan, appreciate the reply.  Yes it's 23 spline and has the 4.8" input bearing retainer.  Since it needs a rebuild anyway I was hoping I could swap in a 4.3" input bearing and retainer so it would bolt right up to my small block bell housing.

Chryco Psycho

The smaller 4.35 brg retainer also uses the smaller 307 brg so it will not bolt onto the front where the 4.80 retainer is now , & cutting the retainer down to that size will cut 2/3 way throung the bolts holding the retainer on so you only choice is to use a different bell or have yours machined out .

b5cuda

Thanks CP, as always - appreciate the help!

Fastmark

Since you are going to rebuild it anyway, I'd  just find a small bearing retainer case and rebuild it instead. All small blocks and 69 down 383 had the smaller bearing. You could sell the case now or swap it.

b5cuda

Thanks for the tip, I've wondered about that.  This isn't a numbers matching case for me and I'm not sure how many 1971 big-block 23-spline 4-speed trannys are out there.