Main Menu

Adding vintage air questions

Started by Djdimart64, June 22, 2019, 03:06:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Djdimart64

Background information, I have a 73 Cuda non-AC with manual steering and a 340. I happen to like my manual steering so no plans to change it.

Question: anyone out there install a vintage air system on their car with manual steering? If so, can you please share the details on the required belts and pulleys for the installation.

Thanks in advance

Dave D

73_Cuda_4_Me

I installed vintage air last year, and was a great upgrade for my 73 Cuda 340 w/o AC. I do have power steering, but installation didn't impact that at all.

The only pulley/belt issue is making sure compressor pulley lines up with alternator and crank pulley, and getting belt length right so you can slip it on yet still get it tightened enough with alternator adjustment (I think I had 56-1/2" final).

I did have to grind the compressor/alternator bracket to allow alternator housing (aftermarket alternator) to pivot toward block for full adjustment slot travel. It would hit the alternator frame which didn't give me much leeway for adjusting belt...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

anlauto

:iagree: The AC system will not be affected by the power steering or lack of. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Djdimart64

So I guess that means one belt drives the water pump, alternator and ac?

Just not picturing it in my head, I'll wait till the ac kit gets here and maybe then it will be more clear to me.

73_Cuda_4_Me

I found the pictures I took of the installation... This one may help a bit...   :ohyeah:

If you look at the bracket holding the alternator mounting bolt, you can just see where I had to notch it to clear the alternator frame just behind the alt's mounting ear... this was with a 57" belt, so adjustment was at almost full extent... ended up getting a 1/2" shorter to put it mid-slot on adjusting bracket...

BS23H3B

73_Cuda_4_Me

Also, one other minor thing I found was that you have to mount the dryer canister one hole 'lower' than the directions tell you to, otherwise it will hit the inside of the grille, and you won't be able to get the mounting bracket pivoted in to mount in front of the radiator...

This picture shows it mounted lower so it clears the inside (the lines will have to be manipulated a little to accommodate the lower location, and the bottom line fitting is difficult, but not impossible to tighten).

BS23H3B

Djdimart64

Words can't express how much the photo helps.  :bigthumb:

That was the ah-ha moment that I needed.
Btw, nice looking installation.

Dave D

73_Cuda_4_Me

Glad to be able to pay it forward, in respect to all the other wonderful members here that have and still do help me and all the other members here...!

:worship:

Thanks!

I would have liked the hard lines to be together and neater for the install, but had to do the manipulation to get everything lined up for fitting alignment correctness.

In a perfect world, I would have added longer hard lines bent to exact dimensions needed... but being on fixed limited income, ya make it work! LOL

BS23H3B

Djdimart64

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on June 24, 2019, 10:08:06 AM
Also, one other minor thing I found was that you have to mount the dryer canister one hole 'lower' than the directions tell you to, otherwise it will hit the inside of the grille, and you won't be able to get the mounting bracket pivoted in to mount in front of the radiator...

This picture shows it mounted lower so it clears the inside (the lines will have to be manipulated a little to accommodate the lower location, and the bottom line fitting is difficult, but not impossible to tighten).

Fortunately, my front end is completely off the car. That should make the install a little easier. Do appreciate this tip,I woul have been unhappy fixing when i tried to install the grille. :headbang:

73_Cuda_4_Me

BS23H3B

1 Wild R/T

@73_Cuda_4_Me so the belt runs the Alternator, A/C & Fan?   It looks like very little contact with the fan pulley?  I don't know that I care for that.. Typically you want at least 60 degrees of contact to prevent belt slippage... That looks like maybe 15-20 degrees...  If it ever overheats the first thing to check is if the fan/water pump is slipping....

73_Cuda_4_Me

Yes, it runs Alt/AC/Fan... will try to get angular contact degrees tomorrow... no overheating in over a year yet... no belt slippage either yet that I am aware of...

BS23H3B

Katfish

My belts match the instructions

Djdimart64

Thanks for the visual.  This graphic shows what my concern was since I don't have PS. Geographically, 73_Cuda_4_Me may have an advantage in the cooling department. I would imagine avg temps in w. Michigan to be  a bit cooler in the summer than the mid atlantic or southeast regions.  @anlauto do you have any additional feedback given the belt routing shown in the vintage air instructions? If the right news comes tomorrow, I'll be heading to the Melbourn, Fl area for about 2 years for work. The Cuda will follow at some point.

anlauto

The set-up shown on the yellow car above should work just fine !
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration