Main Menu

Advice needed detailing my Challenger for show?

Started by JH27N0B, November 10, 2018, 08:24:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

JS27NOB,
Good Luck on the judging. You are right to look at it as a learning experience. I had my 67 GTX judged in the very first Carlisle CSO back in 1994. Headed up by Rodger Gibson and judged by him and the top experts at that time. They spent 2 and 1/2 hours going every nut and bolts. They did not have lifts set up but did use ramps and crawled around under the car. It cost me $150.00 for the judging but they gave me copies of the judging sheets with all the good and the bad so I was able to correct the things that were wrong. I restored the car myself and my first real complete restoration so I learned a lot and it was worth every penny.
JS27

Gary

We don't know where we will be yet.  The stress of worrying about these old cars and getting them ready for show, cruise, etc.  I know the feeling.  But in the end, like my brother always says- A bad day at a car show still beats a good day at work.  See you this weekend.

JH27N0B

Well the car is home this evening!  I ran up a $6K bill mostly fixing things screwed up at the previous shop.
My "bees" on my rear 1/4 windows got lost in glass polishing.  I am glad I found and stashed away another pair of NOS ones a few years ago!  I had a heck of a time putting NOS ones on the repro windows a few years ago, they weren't too eager to leave the backing after nearly 50 years!  I think it took me about 45 minutes each a couple of years ago to get them off the backing and in the glass!
I've got a busy day ahead of me tomorrow getting the car ready for MCACN move in Thursday!

Morty426

Best of luck at the show.  Wish I could be there.

JH27N0B

I spent today detailing the car.  The polished original glass sure looks a 1000% better than that repro glass I hated.  :)
And my NOS bees went on easily after some careful persuasion freeing them from the backing paper with a razor blade.  :woohoo:
Now the weather is looking sketchy for tomorrow, so I'm apprehensive about both my outside MCACN staff job, and getting my car picked up in the pm.  I'll hope for the best!  :fingerscrossed:

Morty426

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 14, 2018, 06:34:40 PM
I spent today detailing the car.  The polished original glass sure looks a 1000% better than that repro glass I hated.  :)
And my NOS bees went on easily after some careful persuasion freeing them from the backing paper with a razor blade.  :woohoo:
Now the weather is looking sketchy for tomorrow, so I'm apprehensive about both my outside MCACN staff job, and getting my car picked up in the pm.  I'll hope for the best!  :fingerscrossed:

Well how did it go?

JH27N0B

I got OE concours gold, with 986/1000 points!  And I lost one point for a missing fastener I think they were wrong about.  My wire routing bracket mounted on the booster has one stamped nut retaining it, on the top nut.  They dinged me for the bottom one not having a nut.  I think one is correct.
I got points off for repro polyglas, aluminized head pipes, a few traces of dust here and there, a missing date code etch on the passenger side door window, and paint on radiator too thick. 
My judges were Corvette guys, my car didn't get done Saturday and they got it early Sunday.  Therefore I might have got dinged for other things by the Mopar judges had they looked at it.
However, the Mopar judge team did the FJ6 AAR Saturday, and the owner Lou said they didn't ding him for his orange handle dipstick, which should be black, or the metal band strap tying his 2 heater hoses together, which is not correct in 1970.
So judging is a bit inconsistent.
Nevertheless, gold on it's first judging is quite an honor!  :1place:

Morty426

Well that's great news - personally I think one nut is correct on the booster bracket.  I know it looks wrong but that is the way I think it is. 

JH27N0B

So many little nuances with a car.  Even if you've spent years researching things, you still find out things from time to time you didn't know.
I found myself wondering as I thought about talking to the judges, if I should have a"baby book" of pictures and documentation of many parts on my car?
The big question for me now is where do I go from here.  I originally aimed for an OE gold level restoration, but came to realize that just isn't possible for me.  I see the wanted ads, the ones where someone is seeking and original part like a seal and says he'll pay up to $1000 for one.  I am not going to spend years paying huge prices for every little component that isn't day one correct!
So, I need to figure out what type of judging I want to be submitting my car for in the future.  AACA? Best T/A-AAR at a national show?  Or just be happy with my MCACN gold and forget about the show pony business going forward!

303 Mopar

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 24, 2018, 07:42:56 PM
Or just be happy with my MCACN gold and forget about the show pony business going forward!

I think this is the best idea.  Don't forget to go and enjoy the car too.   :banana:

anlauto

Life is short....you got the highest award at what is known as the best muscle car show in the world....I think you should just take the "less-stress" road and just enjoy it....

I'm sure you would score very well at any AACA event, but trying to score OE Gold at the Mopar Nationals (if they even do that judging anymore) you will drive yourself bonkers....no one has been able to score higher then ECS's 70 Challenger or Valiant, reguardless of how much money you throw at it. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Morty426

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 24, 2018, 07:42:56 PM
So many little nuances with a car.  Even if you've spent years researching things, you still find out things from time to time you didn't know.
I found myself wondering as I thought about talking to the judges, if I should have a"baby book" of pictures and documentation of many parts on my car?
The big question for me now is where do I go from here.  I originally aimed for an OE gold level restoration, but came to realize that just isn't possible for me.  I see the wanted ads, the ones where someone is seeking and original part like a seal and says he'll pay up to $1000 for one.  I am not going to spend years paying huge prices for every little component that isn't day one correct!
So, I need to figure out what type of judging I want to be submitting my car for in the future.  AACA? Best T/A-AAR at a national show?  Or just be happy with my MCACN gold and forget about the show pony business going forward!

DON'T DO IT   :stop:

A friend of mine did this with a 70 'cuda440+6 and it ruined the car for him and nearly the whole hobby.  He never drove the car because he couldn't.  He has now sold the car and is looking for a new project but he will not restore it to that level. 

JH27N0B

No worries on me chasing a never-ending list of OEM date coded and lunch pail type parts.
I just don't have the time or budget for that. But I do strive to have the car as a "reference restoration" car which will primarily be a show car with limited driving to a few very local cruises.
I have my convertible for doing the bulk of my local cruise in and show type activities.  I love driving that car, and looking at it snowing like crazy right now, it brings tears to my eyes thinking about how it will likely be 5+ months before weather here is conducive to driving it again! :crying:
So my question is to what types of shows and judging I will be taking the T/A to in the future. I still need to figure out how to get it to Carlisle in 2020!!

Katfish

Just ran across this thread, well done!
You should be very proud of this awesome accomplishment.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 25, 2018, 05:50:41 PM
I still need to figure out how to get it to Carlisle in 2020!!

Put it in a transport truck & drive your vert.... :alan2cents: I'm sure there will be more than one transport making the drive from Chicago to Carlisle...