Main Menu

upper cowl choices

Started by purple1, November 30, 2020, 08:34:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

purple1

I'm finally getting back to the car after health issues and some badly needed home improvements. I am going to need to patch the crap out of the upper cowl area or just replace it. I see a number of different manufactures of this and some big differences in price ($100 or more difference). Are any of these replacement panels that much better than the others to warrant so much more of a cost? I'm looking for opinions from you guys that have replaced the upper cowl or both firewall pieces.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

Rich G.

I replace both on my 71 Cuda with AMD . No problems. I heard they don't make the one for A/C now

gzig5

I used AMD on my 73 Cuda and it fit well and is a solid piece.  I wouldn't let the $100 scare me away.  The time saved (@$75hr+) by using a part that fits properly is usually more than made up for by any cost difference.

anlauto

Quote from: gzig5 on November 30, 2020, 12:52:35 PM
I used AMD on my 73 Cuda and it fit well and is a solid piece.  I wouldn't let the $100 scare me away.  The time saved (@$75hr+) by using a part that fits properly is usually more than made up for by any cost difference.

Solid Advice... :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

purple1

Looks like AMD is the right choice. I will assume AMD is also the choice for a replacement hood? I'm still up in the air about replacing the hood. It has some areas in the front that have rusted through and will need attention. My skills just are not that great and any repairs will show up big time unless they are perfect.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

gzig5

Others have more experience than I, but my impression is that AMD has the best overall quality and fitment over the other vendors.  I would try to find an original hood.  I've seen a couple flat Barracuda hoods in this neck of the woods for $100-$150.  They are there if you look at Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, or post a wanted in this and other Mopar forums.