Main Menu

Another "Authentic Restoration" part discrepancy

Started by Jay Bee, October 26, 2018, 07:18:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

Finally decided to replace the worn door and 1/4 panel trim on the car (1970 Barracuda). The first one I took off was the left side 1/4 panel one. I was a bit surprised to see that the "Authentic" piece was attached to the stainless what looks like upside down. This discrepancy is present all the other 3 trim pieces too. I can't return them since they were bought about 20 years ago from First Place Auto Parts. The picture, more or less, explains everything.
So, I have a few questions.
1. Are all the reproduction ones out there like my "Authentic Restoration" ones?
2. Is this another one of those "1970 only" deals?
3. Does anyone sell ones the are like my '70 OEM's?
Thanks for any feedback.

anlauto

I just checked a set of ToPCats and they are the same as your reproductions  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Thx. I'm curious if the ones on SYDWAZ's car look like my OEM's or like the reproductions. Can you look please.

anlauto

Yea, I can have a look, but it won't be today....Dump Question, but are you certain yours are original ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on October 26, 2018, 09:08:39 AM
Yea, I can have a look, but it won't be today....Dump Question, but are you certain yours are original ?

Not sure what a "Dump Question" has to do with this.... :pokeeye:

anlauto

Well I think it's a "dumb question" because Jay Bee knows his stuff and his car pretty well, so I'm pretty sure what his answer will be about the originality  of the parts on his car. :alan2cents:

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

headejm

Jay Bee

are you certain yours are original ?
Well, all I can say is that I've never replaced them since owning the car (March 1979). Judging from the deterioration they sure look to be 48 years old. I'd also be curious what style is on a '74 ebody, maybe @jimynick or @blown motor  can look at theirs.

blown motor

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 26, 2018, 12:50:56 PM
are you certain yours are original ?
Well, all I can say is that I've never replaced them since owning the car (March 1979). Judging from the deterioration they sure look to be 48 years old. I'd also be curious what style is on a '74 ebody, maybe @jimynick or @blown motor  can look at theirs.

@Jay Bee I checked my quarters, which I expect are original but I don't know that for sure, and they are the same as the reproduction picture you posted.

On a side note, thanks for posting this topic. I went looking in my parts collection because I knew I had bought repops and thought that maybe my originals were there. What I found was most of the repops! It seems I never finished changing them all.  :haha:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jay Bee

Thanks for looking Murray.
I'm guessing that these were reproduced to cater to the masses then one line got holes punched for the screws and another line (1970) got the clips. Looks like I just have to use what's available.

BIGSHCLUNK

Don't you just love those little surprises      :headbang: :headbang:

1 Wild R/T

I have a set of vintage repo window fuzzies in my storage that are made like the ones you have.... I wouldn't be so sure yours are original.... When I restored my current Challenger back in 95-96 I reused the original felts cause the repos were so bad... Replaced them around 2012 cause the current repos look right.....

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 28, 2018, 11:18:54 AM
I have a set of vintage repo window fuzzies in my storage that are made like the ones you have.... I wouldn't be so sure yours are original.... When I restored my current Challenger back in 95-96 I reused the original felts cause the repos were so bad... Replaced them around 2012 cause the current repos look right.....

I have to admit....I think I'm agreeing with Mr. Wild here.....I am leaning towards thinking yours are an older reproduction.....I'll go check SYDWAZ's AAR right now...

Brads70

I bought these this year at Carlisle. Looks to be the same as what you have?