Main Menu

Headliner install, jute or dynamat for insulation

Started by ledphoot, April 13, 2019, 06:56:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

I have seen some insulate the inside of the roof with dynamat but jute is what was originally used.

Any thoughts on this?

70 Challenger Lover

I have had upholstery guys tell me nothing is best because they see the stuff eventually falling down requiring headliner removal to fix it. I plan to glue in a super lightweight foam material from a craft store just to add sound insulation without the weight. I'm hoping that it will be a good solution.

GoodysGotaCuda

I would use "insulate" and dynamat within the same sentence somewhat carefully.

Dynamat will be great at dampening panel resonance but not so great at thermal insulation. Sure, some have an aluminum sheet for some level of heat rejection, but not much.

I chose to shoot Lizard Skin ceramic coating on the underside of my roof to keep the solar load off of the car. I probably could have stood to add a couple strategic dynamat squares to the underside of the panel, but hindsight is always 20/20. I do not feel there is substantial noise coming from the roof panels and adding weight that high on the car isn't the best idea.

That said, if you do use dynamat, make sure it is rolled on WELL. It's a lot of mass hanging directly against the adhesive with pretty decent temperature swings. I'd personally be concerned with it peeling away from the roof over time and resting on the headliner.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

1 Wild R/T

Yeah, if you use nothing expect allot of heat to come through the roof....

I use & prefer a product from DEI called U/C Lite....   https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-050113-Absorption-Insulation/dp/B005Q584IY?th=1

The picture shows two temp probes, they are 1.5" apart, a .5" thick piece of U/C lite separates them....  500+ degrees on one, 70 degrees on the other....  I spoke to an engineer with DEI about the test... What the picture doesn't convey is the torch had been burning for 30 minutes when the picture was taken..... I've used allot of DEI products, I consider them the top products in thermal protection...

challengermaniac

I put a Dynamat like product (don't recall the brand name) on a 70 Challenger and was thrilled with the sound dampening with made all of the other sounds (motor, music, talking and touch to the sheet metal) sound crisp and clear.  Couldn't have been happier.....
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

RUNCHARGER

I don't like the factory stuff because of water retention and degradation. I have used the dynamat type stuff and it's been okay for a few years, not sure if it will make 20 years without drooping. I hate the spray on stuff for floors but I think that is what I will use next time on the inside of the roof. Maybe better off building a car with a folding roof this time.
Sheldon