Main Menu

Aren't Shakers Popular Anymore ?

Started by anlauto, April 09, 2017, 10:37:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

We have a local guy I highly recommend, not sure if he's a member here or not....

Problem with my inspection....I'm not that picky, I think a lot of cars are nice !
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

4mayhemi

Rustd49

Sorry, side tracked on another issue. Nice looking car, asked if he had some original pics and restoration pics he said he would try to dig them up... haven't heard back from him. Still looking for a Cuda...

RzeroB

Quote from: Rustd49 on September 07, 2017, 05:58:05 PM
Sorry, side tracked on another issue. Nice looking car, asked if he had some original pics and restoration pics he said he would try to dig them up... haven't heard back from him. Still looking for a Cuda...

:lurking:  Hmmm? Take it you were not overly impressed??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Rustd49

No, I really liked the car... Just that I was hoping he could verify the tags... But it's still a 85k investment and I could live with the date correct block, but would of liked a build sheet to verify the tags. He's taken very good care of the car!

Shane Kelley

Now that's a motivated seller! You want to see pics or any documentation?  If he really wanted to sell it he would have had everything right there to see when you showed up. Unless he's stupid, lazy or something is fishy. Ridiculous!

I have a friend who's been trying to buy a 71 GTX for a while. He will find one with a great story and looks great. I will go with him and do inspection. Usually don't take long to start finding little things that don't add up if you know what to look for. From there it's all down hill. You can't believe anything they say at that point.

anlauto

Quote from: Rustd49 on September 08, 2017, 05:09:22 AM
No, I really liked the car... Just that I was hoping he could verify the tags... But it's still a 85k investment and I could live with the date correct block, but would of liked a build sheet to verify the tags. He's taken very good care of the car!

I thought it was understood the tags were reproductions and possibly had options added ?

If it was a documented numbers matching car with those options it would easily be six figures. At $85K you get what you pay for :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Rustd49

I understand, and it is a nice car but is 88k usd appropriate, for non-numbers matching V code,  questionable options... I guess I would fall under what someone wrote previously and look for something a little more "right". No disrespect to the owner, I guess I was hoping he had a some more information,  but I guess if he did the car would of been long gone! I guess the search continues...

"One thing I've found is people with that kind of money to spend want the car to be "right" . They want matching numbers, they want a sheet and original tags....

Joe Average may really like the car, but he doesn't have $85K to spend on a toy "

RUNCHARGER

I think you're right Rustd. The guys that will pay the money want all the checkmarks checked and you can't blame them. You're talking over $100K CDN so you have to think twice all right.
Sheldon

anlauto

You're absolutely right Rustd........

People don't realize the value of documentation and they also don't realize how much a poor quality restoration, or adding options or changing colours affects the value of "high end" cars......once you get over $50K potential buyers  drop off quickly and the ones with the money want the best of the best.... :alan2cents:

I don't know the facts of the orange Cuda or the blue Challenger advertised on my website, I thought they were priced "right" for what they are, but obviously I'm wrong because they've been on the market a long time.

RUNCHARGER

Sometimes though I am blown away by what certain cars go for. They are all wrong and have third rate restos. Sometimes guys find that one buyer though I suppose.
Sheldon

71vert340

I've been following this topic for awhile now. I can see a car being correct as to what is listed on the broadcast sheets, window sticker and data plate really matter to some people but I know we changed stuff on the cars back in the 70s. I had a problem with someone trying to steal my shaker hood in 1972. I ran a chain with a padlock through the hood latch to prevent any more problems and yes someone tried to pop the hood open even then but couldn't. My permanent solution was to add the hood pins in the correct location and put padlocks through them. My car didn't originally have hood pins but it still has them to this day. It's still numbers matching engine, transmission, etc., and I have all the paperwork but I won't remove the hood pins because I can still put locks through them to deter (not stop ) a thief. Does that detract from the car? To me, not being restored is the minus on my car. I drive it and enjoy it. It's not and won't be a trailer queen as long as I own it.  I had a collector offer me almost $100k for the car but I turned him down because I knew he'd flip it to someone else. Looking at the two cars being discussed, they're in nicer shape than mine. I haven't kept up with the value to condition price of shaker e-bodies but I like those two cars very much. As said, would I spend that much on toys? I want cars I'm not afraid to drive in traffic. With those two cars, I wouldn't be nervous about traffic and I'd drive the wheels off them. But for that kind of money, I can get a nice 2017 shaker Scat Pack Challenger or T/A Challenger and enjoy them just as much and still have thousands of $ left over. My $.02.

anlauto

SOLD and heading to Dubai  :bye:

JS29

Quote from: anlauto on October 10, 2017, 03:00:28 PM
SOLD and heading to Dubai  :bye:
Yet another American muscle car leaving America!!!  :(

RUNCHARGER

Yup: It's too bad but they spend the $$$.
Sheldon