Main Menu

Australian Right Hand Drive Dodge Challenger?

Started by Smallblock340, August 10, 2020, 07:48:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

@dylo  :australia:

Not sure how I missed this thread originally, but that is a cool looking set-up  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dylo

:welcome: HP4406,

Mine was converted to RHD in the early 80's and has sat ever since. It was done in Victoria back then. I can vouch its a killer job I've spent hours under that dash and you would never know its been modified. Sorry I cant help any more with that though.

I reckon you call Mal at Elko Performance in Vic, he can give you the best info. He used to do heaps of Mopar conversions (since the mid 80's) and may still. Also @Cudamadd has a lot of good info too, get in touch with him. If you look at the 70's Valiants dash pad shape (that Cudamadd was talking about above) you can see that the basic shape is pretty close, especially around the gauge cluster, maybe that's a starting point then you can slightly reshape the passenger side with foam and re-cover?

Got any pics or info on yours? Where are you located?

Updated pic on my slow progress....

HP4406

Thanks for your reply DYLO, I have been in touch with Trevor Edgar about the dash mould and steering.  Think I will go steering box over rack and pinion, I've got to find out more about how its set up.  The only thing that concerns me obviously with a 440 there is not alot of room where the steering box will mount ie: exhaust interference which you would get even if you use a rack.  What steering set up have you got on yours?  I'm going to start mine around christmas.  I have got a 71 challenger coupe.  First thing I want to do is the conversion.  I will keep you updated on progress.
:wrenching:

dylo

Sounds good, the drivability is a million times better when RHD (in Aus). Some people freak out about cutting it up and swapping to RHD but if you want to drive the thing - and enjoy it - I reckon it makes a big difference.

I have a standard power-steering box setup and it is TIGHT. Clearance between the box and the standard small block exhaust manifold is about 15mm. I'm not sure how you will go with a big block, but I'm sure Trevor will know more. It might just be a case of using a smaller steering box? Keep me posted with your progress as a big block would be an awesome option down the track if I know what's involved in fitting one.