Main Menu

backglass molding clips

Started by Rbob, March 17, 2021, 10:29:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

RE:  70 Challenger.

Anybody know what the wide clips are for:

anlauto

They sit on the bottom and hold the glass in place. A nice rubber block does the same trick. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rbob

Thanks for that Alan,

I remember conversation about the front windshield blocks with the 3 punch marks, good to know.

:ohyeah: 

headejm

I just replaced the back glass on my 1970 SE.  When I removed the factory installed glass (pretty sure it was original) the metal clip was present and a tapered rubber block that when sitting on the clip, made a level surface.  If you look at the clip, you will see that it is not level when installed by itself. Sorry I don't have a photo of the rubber block but here is the clip installed. The rubber block is much smaller than the rubber block for the front.

Rbob

Great pic, now I know where it goes.

Thank you!

Yeya93

@headejm any tips on how you removed the rear glass from your SE? I sure do not wanna break it. Haha. I wanna clean it thoroughly and replace the clips.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

R/T's 4 R/P

You would need to remove the glass if the vinyl top was replaced, too.  I would think the same adhesive bond needs to be cut.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

headejm

@Yeya93 To remove the back SE glass (and the windshield): Buy a new guitar string (the thick, wound type strings) and tie it between two wooden dowels to make a cutting tool. Start a small hole in the existing butyl tape and feed one end of the guitar string through the hole and tie it to one of the dowels. It would really help to have someone inside the car and someone outside the car. Use the guitar string as a saw. Keep it tight and take your time. The guitar string cuts the butyl easily. Good luck!

P.S. Two people would be much better than one but I did mine by myself. A couple of times I had to tie the inside part of the guitar string to a part of the car so as to be able to keep the string tight.

anlauto

This is my tool of choice....if it gets stubborn...keep a torch close by and heat the blade up red hot and watch it cut like butter :alan2cents:  :twothumbsup: 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

Thats what I have as well. It's easy for one guy to use.
Sheldon

Yeya93

@headejm thanks for that information. It's gonna be a step that's going to be for sure necessary in the near future.

@anlauto what is that tool called? If inexpensive, i may just use that instead so i won't have to ask anyone for help.

anlauto

headejm

Nice removal tool 30 CDN, cool guitar string 3 USD, getting to remove all the leftover butyl tape and goo in the glass channel after the glass is out - priceless..

:rofl:

Yeya93

@headejm good point. And i am pretty cheap as I'm tired of spending money on this project. Haha my father is in contact with car window business. Maybe they will lend a tool they have the over to us to help out. Thanks everyone

anlauto