Main Menu

Bad Idea? to V5F or not to V5F? *Challenger*

Started by kflohrit, August 25, 2021, 10:24:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kflohrit

I have a '70 Challenger EF8 A02 V5F car... 318, Auto, AC, bucket seat, console car. I know the two tone paint is not common and especially light green metallic roof on a EF8 body, but I'm not sure if ditching the two tone roof and body side molding is sacrilegious. The primary dilemma is the body side molding. I cannot find it anywhere. I only have 3 of the 6 pieces. Do I remove the remainder, store it and weld up the holes? As far as the roof goes, do I remove the two-tone trim and go one solid color?

If I cannot find the trim, I would like to create a semi-pro touring car that is fun to drive and has the majority of the original characteristics, with a few modern touches.

It isn't an R/T, T/A or even an SE, so I don't really feel like I am hurting any value. Plus, it was my parent's car and I am never selling.

I've attached a photo of what the EF8 A02 FF4 looks like on a Cuda... I didn't know it was even a thing...Couldn't find it on a Challenger

Cuda_mark

It's a really cool option. I, personally, have never seen one. It has to be pretty rare.

If it were me, I would do it as it is coded, at least on the body/paint. As far as the bolt on items, you can always unbolt them if you ever decide to make it more original.

It's a unique color combo so I think it would be a shame to un-do it.

superdave

I think it is really awesome as is. :banana: 8) As mentioned that has to be super rare (the two tone that is). The side molding is pretty rare and getting more so as most people have removed them. I bought a couple pieces of the molding for a Challenger from another member, unfortunately it was damaged during shipping but I believe it is salvageable.

7E-Bodies

I fully agree with @Cuda_mark and I'm bias.  I own a 70 RT (JS23U0B...) that's largely original, all numbers match. It is an EF8 car with vinyl top and the dreaded V5F moldings. I was utterly determined to locate a set and it didn't take long to realize that it was next to impossible. That started my gears turning. When another member, @6bblgt, pointed out that mine was very rare according to his data, I was on a mission to keep it original. Yet another member offered me a full set of black ones that were as close to NOS as I'd ever seen, I went to work. He also sent me some damaged ones to practice on. Using a heat gun, I quickly learned how to take off the rubber/vinyl without damage. Our local PPG outlet really stepped up trying to match a material to stain/paint them with. My dilemma was in finding the true color and make sure it was exact. I turned to fee bay and found an NOS V5F single piece for a 70 Fury. Perfect! All I needed it for was for PPG to match the color and man did they ever. They then recommended the proper SEM spray cans to prep the surface. Once I'd gotten the 51 year old glue residue off the back of the strips I went from there and meticulously put color on them. The results were nothing less than stellar. I will gladly share with you the exact color formula as I feel your pain. You're even free to call and I can walk you through each step as you're ready. This would only leave you with the task of finding a nice set of black ones (much easier!). Let me know, I'm glad to help. (I actually took the fury trim strip to Lowe's home paint area and used their color cards to find a close match to the fury strip color so PPG would have a bigger sample to use their color matching camera/computer on. That got them in the ballpark and they tinted from there. You'll see the house paint sample card in the pics)
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

@kflohrit heres some more samples of the finished product. The last one is a pic of mine laying alongside of the NOS Fury strip. I at first colored some of the scrap pieces I had after honing down a perfect method. I then cured my samples in the sun for a few days and torture tested them with simulated door strikes and radical bending and twisting. I simply couldn't crack the PPG finish. I also sprayed their clear on them with the matte additive. Notice the fury strip had a factory texture and the challenger strips came smooth.

kflohrit

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 25, 2021, 12:39:58 PM
@kflohrit heres some more samples of the finished product. The last one is a pic of mine laying alongside of the NOS Fury strip. I at first colored some of the scrap pieces I had after honing down a perfect method. I then cured my samples in the sun for a few days and torture tested them with simulated door strikes and radical bending and twisting. I simply couldn't crack the PPG finish. I also sprayed their clear on them with the matte additive. Notice the fury strip had a factory texture and the challenger strips came smooth.

These look incredible! I just gotta find the three pieces now! Driver door, Driver Quarter Panel, and Passenger Quarter Panel...

7E-Bodies

Put out a request in a new thread here and specify "any color"

Cuda_mark

[mention]kflohrit [/mention] I'm stopping by my local Mopar parts hoarder in the coming weeks. I'll ask him if he has any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda hunter

I definitely agree with keeping the original color combination the same and original.
Do you have a build sheet for the car?  Any other odd options on the fender tag?  Someone obviously ordered this car and it would be interesting if they put anything else on it.   

Awesome car and color combo!!

If you find any V5R (red)   pieces I would prefer to purchase them over painting them green.  Even more difficult to find than green. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cudamadd

Car looks great very nice as is . But if you were lucky enough to find the trim that  you are looking for , it would IMO  be so different.  Beautiful colour combination . Lv it  :australia:

6bblgt

what's the car look like currently - got any pics?  :takealook:

I think many are assuming the 'cuda is your car  :stop:

torredcuda

That combo is too unique to change so I would keep it original if it were mine, bolting on some modern touches would be fine just keep all the original parts.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/