Main Menu

BB's and Hemi's... Do you guys ever.....

Started by Oldschool, June 23, 2017, 06:17:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Oldschool

I know that BB's and Hemi's are the same when it comes to the dizzy and oil pump drive. Do any of you ever remove the dizzy and oil pump drive shaft and use a primer tool to prime the oil pump before firing it up?  If so, how long does the car need to have been sitting before you consider doing that in order to make sure the engine isn't running without oil for the first few seconds? I am probably one of the few that does that if the car has been sitting untouched for 2 weeks or longer. Takes me about 4-5 minutes and when I fire it up, I know she already has plenty of oil. Just wondering about the rest of y'all.....

Cuda Cody

That's an incredibly awesome way to make sure your engine has oil right when it fires up!!!   :clapping:   I normally give the throttle a full pump and wait 10 seconds.  That gives the fuel time to start evaporating and the fumes fire off much faster, but that doesn't mean much for the oil.  I don't rev them until the oil pressure builds and that only takes a few seconds.  But if the engine has sat a long time the priming of the oil is a super safe way to get things going.   Nice job!  :slapme5:

Spikedog08

I don't but after sitting for awhile, mine will crank for 15 seconds before the gas gets there . . . I assume the oil is moving by then  . .  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Chryco Psycho

I have never done it , on the other hand I have disassembled motors that have been sitting a long time & oil sill comes out of the crank lifter tubes etc

LinceCuda

I really don't think it matters on a new build or sitting and here's why. When we built motors as teenagers in the 70's spinning pumps never crossed our minds and they ran fine. The 1st time I was around it was when Sonny did it to my race engine and I asked him why he was doing that he said I'm priming the engine to get oil to the top of the engine. So I said I don't think it's possible to prime a engine because the valves open and close so you can't ever get the air out, he looked at me funny. The example I gave him was if you have water in your basement and you use a pump to get the water out you have to prime the pump of air before it will pull the water through it. I then said I think what you're really doing is priming the oil pump not the engine right he replied ok I agree. So I said instead of spending 15 minutes spinning the oil pump do what we did in the 70's fill the oil filter with oil and screw it on and drop the engine in. As soon as you hit the key before you can focus on the pressure gauge you'll have oil pressure. On a sitting engine it would be more important to squirt some WD or something slick in the cylinders before cranking because you already have oil in the filter so your pressure will be there. Just one mans opinion.

Brads70

RUNCHARGER

I do that on Hemi's after they have been sitting all winter. I either start them every month or prime them in the spring. You put $20k in an engine you just don't take chances.
Sheldon