Main Menu

Hemi Guys - Can I pull lifter without removing intake?

Started by RSI700VIPER, February 15, 2021, 07:16:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RSI700VIPER

I have what appears to be as sticking lifter.  Tic comes and goes.  I've heard good things about Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil for un-freeing a sticky lifter and might try that first.  But plan B would be to pull the culprit lifter.  I have the tool to pull lifter through the head but the hole in the head needs to be large enough.  Has anyone tried this before?

fc7cuda

RSI700VIPER

FC7 - I can almost put my hand through there.  Thanks for the picture. 

headejm

chargerdon

Scooter

I purchased one of those "special" lifter tools when I replaced all 16 on my SB LA. Never used it. Found a strong magnet on a telescoping stick to be far more useful.

GL

Flatdad

That's just your Hemi letting you know it wants a solid lifter cam  :vipermanhiding:

RSI700VIPER

FYI - figured I'd try some snake oil (better known as Marvel Mystery Oil) before getting into the motor.  Well low and behold, after about 15 minutes, the noise went completely away.  Saved me a lot of time and money.   I heard the stories but never tried the stuff.  Now I'm a believer.   :worship:

ek3

cant count the times that stuff fixed a problem.. m m  oil and , trans x when you had nothing to lose !........

Cuda_mark

@RSI700VIPER Just a suggestion....not knowing the build history of your engine...if it is at all possible, remove the valve covers and spin the oil pump to make sure you're getting proper oiling to the top of the engine. The rocker shaft have oil hole orientations to them and some of the stands do as well. It's easy to mess up and starve parts of the top end of oiling.

RSI700VIPER

Mark - I'm actually planning to repaint the valve covers so I will have an opportunity to have a look and double check rocker preloads.