Main Menu

Brake boosters and master cylinders

Started by Shoooter, July 30, 2017, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

What's the correct set up for a brake booster and master cylinder for a 71 cuda with discs and drums? What's the best option for purchasing one? Are any interchangeable? Not sure what I should be looking for at swap meets.
Thank yoj

Cuda Cody

Correct is not going to be cheap.  The Ram Man might be able to get you everything you need, but I've heard mixed reviews about his lead times.  Or you can use RockAuto and get a master cylinder for around $25 to $50.

anlauto

1971 was the crossover year for brake boosters too. Early would have a Bendex (black), later would have a Midland-Ross (gold)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Shoooter

That's perfect. Thanks 1 wild rt. My build date is late June

Shoooter

What would be the cut off date? Would I need the gold one? 7 or 8" . Build date June 28

1 Wild R/T

June is late & should have a Midland Ross, RockAuto only lists Bendix without you supplying a core that they sent to a rebuilder.... Neither are 7 or 8" both are in the 11-12" range.... for a 7-8" booster to apply enough force it needs to be a dual diaphragm unit.... Like the Bendix used on B bodies... The aftermarket 8" boosters by CPP are junk, don't waste your time or money, changing them s a PITA & every time you bolt one on that doesn't work you've just wasted all that effort..

Personally I'd bolt a 70 style Bendix on & never give its a second thought...

Shoooter

Do you run these that colour or are they painted?

anlauto

Quote from: Shoooter on August 02, 2017, 08:20:47 PM
Do you run these that colour or are they painted?

The Bendix ones were shipped to Chrysler as an assembled unit with the master cylinder bolted on and the check valve in place. They were completely painted black as an assembly.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Convertcuda

Not to steal this thread. Does anyone know the correct part number for the original master cylinder with disc brakes on 71 340 car? I am looking for one of those also.

Thanks Ken

anlauto

Convertcuda

Thanks for the info Alan. Do you know where I could pick one up?

Ken

anlauto

They're getting almost as hard to find as the 171, but certainly not as expensive...I guess you could start with a want ad ?

JH27N0B

Quote from: anlauto on August 03, 2017, 07:34:23 AM
They're getting almost as hard to find as the 171, but certainly not as expensive...I guess you could start with a want ad ?
That seems true, but I can't imagine why that is.  3461187s were used from '71-74 or 75 on A, B and E bodies, so you'd think they'd be plentiful.
You might try ordering a rebuilt at NAPA, and you might get lucky and get a rebuilt OEM.
Also, starting in the mid 70s, Bendix made a master cylinder used on B and F bodies I'm pretty sure was the application, that is pretty close to identical to 1187s, except the outlet bosses don't stick out as far.
Different casting number too, but lookwise most people would never spot the difference in outlet boss length. Should be easier to find.

Convertcuda