Main Menu

Brakes Question

Started by booyaballer, January 17, 2017, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

booyaballer

I have a 70 Challenger with all drum brakes.  I hope to convert to front discs in the future.  Can i add a master cylinder rated for disc brakes and hoses now even though i will keep the drum brakes for a while?  i'm trying to avoid buying a master for drum brakes then one for discs.  thanks.

Cuda Cody

@booyaballer Welcome to the forum!   :welcome:  I'll do my best to answer the brake question, but there might be someone else who knows more.

Just typing and thinking...  pretty sure the Disc master cylinder has different sized brake fluid volume capacity.  Because the disc brakes need more fluid to operate they have one side with a lot more fluid and the rear (drum side of master cylinder) is smaller because it doesn't need as much to work.  So while I think it might technically work, I think the pressures would be so off that you might be locking up the front drums before the backs even start working.  Still might be worth a try since you plan to buy a Disc Master Cylinder anyway.  A couple ways you might be able to work the pressures out so everything works on all 4 drums.  You can use an adjustable proportioning valve that will allow you to adjust the pressure the front and rear drums get.  Or you might be able to back the drum shoes off so they have to travel further allowing all 4 to grab at the same time.

anlauto

:iagree: Might work, won't work properly. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration